JD 4700 Fuel Guage Problem

/ JD 4700 Fuel Guage Problem #1  

RedLeaf

I submitted an earlier post about not being able to start my JD 4700 Compact, but this post is related to a fuel gauge problem relating to one of the repair attempts.

When my tractor was returned by the dealer to my farm, I noticed that the fuel gauge needle was below the post that stops the needle from going past Empty. It apparently had wrapped around clockwise, past Full, and was stuck.

The mechanic was mucking around with the "diode", but on the service invoice I got, there was a claim that the tractor was "bone dry" and that they had to put some fuel in the tractor. The tractor had 1/2 tank in it, and I know that the mechanic "fibbed" to hide the fact that he broke the gauge.

I believe the the gauge works electrically. Is there any chance that the mechanic screwed up some connection and shorted something out? Or provided the wrong power to the guage?

I was very disappointed with the service manager's response to my claim that there was no problem (saying that his mechanic said the problem existed before) and am now stuck with a gauge that doesn't work. A replacement gauge requires a new console (CDN 400!).

Can any one give me some advice how a guage can get screwed up like this before I write letters to the president of this JD dealership chain and to JD Canada?

Thanks