JD 4700 Fuel shut off solenoid

/ JD 4700 Fuel shut off solenoid #1  

helpfulbook

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4700 Woods Backhoe 750, 460 Loader, Woodmaxx SB-72
Hello, I know there has been talk about the JD 4000 Series Fuel shut off solenoid causing starting problems.
Because it was on this forum that I learned I had to replace mine.
Well I replaced it and after a year it is acting up again.
It seems that when I run the PTO at higher RPM'S for any length of time. I can be sure that the tractor is NOT going to start if I shut it off.
Then I have to take the fuel solenoid off and push the plunger a couple of times, put it back on and I'm good for a while.
Does anyone have a trick or a fix for this problem?

Thank you.
George

/ JD 4700 Fuel shut off solenoid #2  
By chance, have you checked your engine oil level?? The solenoid is "splash oil" lubricated..
When was the last time it was changed?
Granted, it IS a problem but there are contributing factors also..
If the oil level is hi, it allows the sol. to fill up.. If the oil is old & gummy, it'll stick the plunger..
Sorry.. but no "fix" that I know of..

/ JD 4700 Fuel shut off solenoid
Harry I'm a rookie! Can you explain "PM"?
Thank you!

I will check oil. Thank you for the help!

There is something new I can Add to the problem.
First thing this AM the tractor doesn't want to turn over. I took the solenoid off pumped the plunger and cleaned it. Tractor turned over.
I did a little work. Shut it down.
Now it wont start. I repeated the cleaning and pumping. Still wont start.
This time I took off the solenoid. I started it up to test the plunger. And the tractor started without the solenoid attached. But every time I put the solenoid back in position the tractor would die.
I'm thinking its the solenoid that shot.
Does anyone think it could be something else?
Thank you!

/ JD 4700 Fuel shut off solenoid #7  
To check your messages go to the top of the page and look at the row of icons. Click on the word ALERTS. That should drop a menu. Click on inbox.

/ JD 4700 Fuel shut off solenoid #8  
Check to see if you have power to the solenoid. Could be a bad start relay.If it will start with the solenoid out the solenoid is not getting power to pull the plunger in when trying to start. You can test the solenoid with a 12 volt battery hooking up the black wire to ground and one of the other wires to positive, possibly white or red. One wire is for holding the solenoid plunger in after start and the other is to pull the plunger in while cranking. I guess this depends on what kind of solenoid is used.

/ JD 4700 Fuel shut off solenoid #9  
There is something new I can Add to the problem.
First thing this AM the tractor doesn't want to turn over. I took the solenoid off pumped the plunger and cleaned it. Tractor turned over.
I did a little work. Shut it down.
Now it wont start. I repeated the cleaning and pumping. Still wont start.
This time I took off the solenoid. I started it up to test the plunger. And the tractor started without the solenoid attached. But every time I put the solenoid back in position the tractor would die.
I'm thinking its the solenoid that shot.
Does anyone think it could be something else?
Thank you!
George,
If you haven't figured out and fixed the problem yet check out this JD4700 no start thread on TBN here, his thermistor was bad, might be your problem too.

/ JD 4700 Fuel shut off solenoid #10  
WOW Gator.. GREAT INFO!!! Those engines are used in everything from lawn mowers to "blenders". if ya know what I mean. lol
Do you have any idea how much money JD is making from selling solenoids at 200.00 a wack??!!! DANG..
I'll bet I can find 5 threads going on right now, that are having the exact same problem.!!!