JD 5045D vs. Kubota MX5100

/ JD 5045D vs. Kubota MX5100 #1  

MBDiagMan

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5045D, Grasshopper 61" with PowerVac,Gator 825i, Cub Cadet 2145
I've been posing some scenarios here on TBN for a few days with some great responses and I'm getting a little closer to making a purchase. I'm hoping to get the same quantity and quality of responses on this question as my others.

Okay this is a little bit of an apple to orange comparison since the Kubota is 51 HP while the JD is 45. The reason is that these are the items available on hand at the area dealers. As far as I can tell it looks like the prices they are quoting will be about $800 apart in favor of the JD since it is the smaller of the two. I don't mind the price difference since it would get me another 6 or 7 HP if the orange one is a better tractor. I've yet to find too much horsepower as a problem with any car, truck, boat, tractor or anything else.

Both of them are fitted with the corresponding FEL. These are both, big frame, heavy tractors for their HP ratings, which is a good thing from my standpoint.

I will be shredding, moving a little gravel, doing some light timber work and running a roto tiller.

From what I see so far, these are both at the top of the heap for this size and category.

Thanks in advance for the sharing of experience and expertise.

/ JD 5045D vs. Kubota MX5100 #2  
I have yet to use all the HP of my 5045D. It's got a ton of pull... One interesting fact about the engine in the 5045D. It's the same size engine as the 5055/5065/5075, just lower boost. I think that's a good thing...

/ JD 5045D vs. Kubota MX5100
Yes, less boost is definitely a good thing as long as too much fuel is not being poured in. If boost/fuel is in correct proportions in the lower power versions, it will definitely extend engine life.

My question in the original post involves the two machines as compared to each other as if they had the same amount of power. The extra few horses in the orange one wouldn't be a bad thing, but I am just looking for experiences with both or either machine so your response is greatly appreciated.

I did a search on 5040D and came up with the thread you started when originally buying your tractor. I'm glad to get your feedback after this much time with the machine.

BTW, on a side note, can you hear the turbo whistle?

/ JD 5045D vs. Kubota MX5100 #4  
I have no specific information on the two models listed, but in my experience, neither is a "better" tractor. The one that fits you better is going to be the best.

As to turbo whine, I can't hear any on my M8540 and I am sure the JD is the same; both good tractors and a hard choice to make.

/ JD 5045D vs. Kubota MX5100
Thanks for all the replies.

Well money made the decision. I was calling around the area and was given a quote of 17,195 for a 5045D and a 512 loader. This is 14% off of the list price. I went over there this afternoon and found the BIGGEST tractor place I've ever seen in Texas. The inventory was unbelievable and their facility had to be 8 or 10 acres. They had two of what I had figured would be oddball combinations of the 5045 and 512 set up and ready to go.

I jumped on it at this price and saved $2,000 compared to the best price I could get on the orange one.

The funny thing that happened was that they said they could deliver it Friday. I told them that my daughter was coming for the weekend and I would rather wait until next week so that my wife and I could have more time with my daughter. He said, "Wow, everyone always wants it yesterday." Then I got home and my wife was disappointed that I didn't get it delivered Friday so she could see it sooner. You gotta' love a Country Gal.

We haven't had a garden since the kids grew up and left and I've promised my wife a new garden spot for the last few years and I haven't delivered. I also bought a roto tiller so she will have a garden spot again. I'm not sure who's more excited, she or I.

I have some fence rows to clear around her proposed garden spot. It used to be a lot outside my cattle working pen and chute so it has a strong, thick stand of coastal, so I plan on scraping it up before Winter and then getting started on clearing the fence row. I hope this heavy Coastal does not turn out to be too hard to overcome for a garden spot.

Anyway, we're excited at my house. I guess it's natural for a fifty and sixty something couple that has a new baby coming next week.

/ JD 5045D vs. Kubota MX5100 #6  
Congrats! You are going to love it, both of you... I can't hardly get any seat time when my bride is around!

/ JD 5045D vs. Kubota MX5100 #7  
Congratulations on your new tractor; good times to come.:thumbsup: