JD 5045e slow to turn over

/ JD 5045e slow to turn over #1  

bsvitale

Tractor
John Deere 5045E
2015 5045e with about 450 hours. Original battery and 5 year old starter (they replaced during the original warranty period). Slow to turn over - a second or so pause after the first crank, etc. Tough to start already and we’re not even into freezing weather yet. Had some hard starts last winter so I’m guessing the starter is wore out? Battery voltage tests ok but have not had it load tested.
Starts fine warm.

/ JD 5045e slow to turn over #2  
Did you check all your cables and connections?
Ground cable connection good?
Better have your battery tested or just buy a battery
tester

willy

/ JD 5045e slow to turn over #3  
I also suggest to have battery load tested.

/ JD 5045e slow to turn over #4  
If battery and cables check OK then test starter draw amperage with fuel pump disabled. My JD5105 has a diagnostic procedure for this purpose. Also, Nations Electric is a good place for heavy duty starters, alternators, and rebuilds.

/ JD 5045e slow to turn over #5  
Did you check all your cables and connections?
Ground cable connection good?....
willy
Yep, search posts OP. I have described how a simple "connector" being loose can cause this.

/ JD 5045e slow to turn over
Thanks folks. Battery connections were ok but I picked up a load tester off Amazon and the battery is low on CCA, needs replacement.

Accepting recs on Group 27 batteries…

/ JD 5045e slow to turn over #7  
I replaced mine with an Interstate battery. In fact, Interstate has been the replacement battery for any vehicle that’s needed one.

/ JD 5045e slow to turn over #8  
My rule of thumb is, I replace my starting batteries every 5 years and clean all the connections (including the frame to cable connection when I do). In the winter I can not afford a no start.