Comparison JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION
Will be occasional loader work done, but not extensive. I primarily use the FEL I have now for occasional yard work, but primarily pushing downed limbs and trees out of roads while maintaining roads.

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #12  
You know of course that trying to decide between these two models E or M is similar to decide between a stripped down 6cylinder pickup and a loaded 8cylinder pickup. Your mind and pocket book have to meet somewhere in agreement. This forum is filled with posts where people have bought stripped down tractors new and within a year or so are back on here posting a thread and looking for an upgraded model.

My view is to buy a loaded tractor and keep it for the long haul, so the difference in increased up front cost is minor over the life of the tractor. Everytime I use my tractors in close work I am sure I made the right choice with the ehydro transmission, much better than my older 820 for close in manuevering. I really suggest you give the 4520 or 4720, the 5065E and the 5065M all a good test drive and test the manueverability of all of them to help you make up your mind. I would not approach this with preconceived notions that simple is better and more reliable rather look into all of these with an open mind.

Steve, I think you have given good advice. I have seen this vehicle example on here before when discussing the cab tractors. I primarily work in areas where maneuverability around objects are not critical. I favor the larger Ag machines with their ability to handle heavier implements over the smaller compact machines. For the money, this 5420 seems like a good option. I am planning to look at it Saturday morning. This is a little more than I wanted to spend, but think it would be a good long term investment and resolve some of the issues I have with my current tractor. The only negatives I am hearing on this 5420 is the 9F/3R, no reverser and dry clutch. For the amount and type of use I have, I feel like the dry clutch will last many hours. I have operated a tractor with a reverser a few times and feel like it is something I can live without. Other than these things, are there any other issues I should be concerned with?

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #14  
Steve, I think you have given good advice. I have seen this vehicle example on here before when discussing the cab tractors. I primarily work in areas where maneuverability around objects are not critical. I favor the larger Ag machines with their ability to handle heavier implements over the smaller compact machines. For the money, this 5420 seems like a good option. I am planning to look at it Saturday morning. This is a little more than I wanted to spend, but think it would be a good long term investment and resolve some of the issues I have with my current tractor. The only negatives I am hearing on this 5420 is the 9F/3R, no reverser and dry clutch. For the amount and type of use I have, I feel like the dry clutch will last many hours. I have operated a tractor with a reverser a few times and feel like it is something I can live without. Other than these things, are there any other issues I should be concerned with?

the 9x3 is going to come with a SyncReverser which is what i currently have. to be honest about the wet vs dry clutch, my previous tractor(as well as my current one) had a dry clutch. i put 1,500 hours on it and it only needed a slight adjustment one time. granted it didn't have a loader on it, it was just used for disking and bush hogging. how high are the hours on this 5420? the reason i ask is because highway departments order tractors about this size for mowing and only get them with the 9x3 transmission, so that might be what this tractor did it's whole life. just a guess though.

Tractor was purchased new by an older gentleman who passed away shortly after purchase. Once his estate was settled another gentleman purchased it and recently traded in on a cab tractor. Have only seen pictures so far, but plan to look at it Saturday.

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #16  
i think the tractor you're talking about is listen on tractorhouse. i just took a look at one very similar of what you're describing located in MS. seems to be in pretty good shape from the pics. if you're picky about cosmetic things, i noticed the canopy had a good size peice missing, most likely from a limb or something. also it looks like you'll be needing a set of front tires sooner then later. also has a turn down exhaust, not sure if you prefer that or not. seems to be like a good tractor though.

i think the tractor you're talking about is listen on tractorhouse. i just took a look at one very similar of what you're describing located in MS. seems to be in pretty good shape from the pics. if you're picky about cosmetic things, i noticed the canopy had a good size peice missing, most likely from a limb or something. also it looks like you'll be needing a set of front tires sooner then later. also has a turn down exhaust, not sure if you prefer that or not. seems to be like a good tractor though.

This is not the same tractor. I am looking at one with 438 hrs and that one has about 1700 hrs.

I was able to look at the 5420 this weekend. It is a 2004 model with 9F/3R, 4WD, Canopy, brush guard, joystick, extendable draft links and rear work light. Unit has 430 hours. Tractor seemed tight and everything works. Very clean. Much larger than the 5105. I like this tractor. Dealer is taking a 521 FEL in on a trade and offered to include it in the deal since I want a loader. Price out the door including loader $26,200. He also is going to get a 1999 model 5510 in on a trade soon. This unit has the power reverser transmission, but is 5 years older and has 2300 hours. I know the reverser would be more handy, but from pictures I saw the 5510 looked like it had been worked pretty hard. It had a 541 self leveling loader and was $21,000. Strongly leaning toward the 5420. Supposed to get some pictures of the 521 loader early this week since it is not currently on the yard to view. Offered $14,500 in the trade for my 2004 5105 2WD with 512 loader. Any opinions or suggestions?

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #19  
I was able to look at the 5420 this weekend. It is a 2004 model with 9F/3R, 4WD, Canopy, brush guard, joystick, extendable draft links and rear work light. Unit has 430 hours. Tractor seemed tight and everything works. Very clean. Much larger than the 5105. I like this tractor. Dealer is taking a 521 FEL in on a trade and offered to include it in the deal since I want a loader. Price out the door including loader $26,200. He also is going to get a 1999 model 5510 in on a trade soon. This unit has the power reverser transmission, but is 5 years older and has 2300 hours. I know the reverser would be more handy, but from pictures I saw the 5510 looked like it had been worked pretty hard. It had a 541 self leveling loader and was $21,000. Strongly leaning toward the 5420. Supposed to get some pictures of the 521 loader early this week since it is not currently on the yard to view. Offered $14,500 in the trade for my 2004 5105 2WD with 512 loader. Any opinions or suggestions?

from what you've said, it seems like a fair price. i'm not sure of the hours or condition your 5105 is in, but i think the trade-in price isn't that bad. did you get to drive the 5420? how'd you like the 4cyl compared to the 3cyl in your tractor? i'd love to hear the differences as mine is also the same engine(2.9L 3cyl). to be honest, i would jump on the 5420 over the 5510. reason being the hours difference and the condition of the tractor from what you described. the 5420 seems like it's had a pretty easy life so far and should last you a long time. keep in mind that 5420 can take a 542 loader which you can get in self-leveling or without, and has a good bit more lift capacity then the 521. just something to think about. might also want to think about getting some hooks welded on the bucket incase you ever need to lift anything with a chain, and you might want to get a tooth bar if it doesn't already have one on it. are the tires already loaded on the 5420? if not is he going to throw that into the deal or did you think to ask?

from what you've said, it seems like a fair price. i'm not sure of the hours or condition your 5105 is in, but i think the trade-in price isn't that bad. did you get to drive the 5420? how'd you like the 4cyl compared to the 3cyl in your tractor? i'd love to hear the differences as mine is also the same engine(2.9L 3cyl). to be honest, i would jump on the 5420 over the 5510. reason being the hours difference and the condition of the tractor from what you described. the 5420 seems like it's had a pretty easy life so far and should last you a long time. keep in mind that 5420 can take a 542 loader which you can get in self-leveling or without, and has a good bit more lift capacity then the 521. just something to think about. might also want to think about getting some hooks welded on the bucket incase you ever need to lift anything with a chain, and you might want to get a tooth bar if it doesn't already have one on it. are the tires already loaded on the 5420? if not is he going to throw that into the deal or did you think to ask?

My 5105 is in like new condition. I admittedly wash it regularly and have waxed it a time or two. I have 374 hrs on the 5105 and it has a 512 FEL. I am going to try to keep my bucket in the deal as it is newer, has the hooks already on the bucket and I think the new General Purpose buckets are much stronger than the older Materials Bucket. Hooks have been used enough already that I couldn't make it without them. I realize there are stronger loaders out there. This tractor had the 541 loader on it already, but was kept during a trade. The 521 loader used is half the price of the new 553 loader he quoted. I think the new 563 is atleast a couple thousand more. Just don't think I am working it to the point of justifying the extra expense. Dealer said rear tires are already loaded. I didn't check to make sure, but will next time I see it. I noticed at idle it started off with no change in engine noise. I expect it will have substantially more torque, but probably use more fuel. I hope to hear something on the loader soon so we can move on to complete the deal or cancel if needed. Attached is picture of tractor without loader.

Attachments

• 5420 002.jpg
    5420 002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,031