Front-End Loader JD 521 Loader control problems

/ JD 521 Loader control problems #11  
Yes, very easily. It is the bucket cable that prevents it from going left.

That narrows it down to either the cable or the valve.
If the cable is attached to the joystick, but not the valve and the joystick moves to the left OK, I'd say the problem is in the valve. Possibly the end opposite where the cable hooks up that contains the return spring and dents.

/ JD 521 Loader control problems #12  
Bucket tilt is the up/down action of the bucket.

Regen is a feature on some valves that let you do a fast dump, and this is because the fluid from the cyl shaft end is added to the fluid going into the base end of the cyl.

A cyl not using regen will take so much time to extend, and regen will decrease that by about 1/2.

/ JD 521 Loader control problems
That narrows it down to either the cable or the valve.
If the cable is attached to the joystick, but not the valve and the joystick moves to the left OK, I'd say the problem is in the valve. Possibly the end opposite where the cable hooks up that contains the return spring and dents.

I agree with that test...Now I have to find time to get to the valve and try that. Thanks

/ JD 521 Loader control problems #14  
Can you post a picture of the gimbal assembly on the top of the valve.

The gimbal should be pivoted at one point and the spool ends are connected to the gimbal.

When you move the lever fwd and back, the gimbal moves down and then up, pushing or pulling the spool.

On the other axis, the lever is supposed to push and or pull the spool by the lever moving left, to center, and then right , and more right if regen is installed.

Has the joystick always worked this way.

Did you purchase the tractor new?

Did someone work on the valve?

It just does not make good sense if you know how a gimbal works.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=qgYasVlBbjdbXqVJcbBQpA&bvm=bv.50768961,d.b2I

Pages 18 and 19 shows a gimbal assembly for reference.

Last edited:
Thanks JJ, That is a great link showing the valve and controler. The joystick most like mine was on page 22. I have been overloaded with work this week so I have not been able to get out there and start applying this new found knowledge. I am almost positive I will find the problem where the "bucket up" cable meets the valve or that valve itself. I'll keep you posted when I can get in there. Thanks again!

/ JD 521 Loader control problems #16  
I have a neighbor whose FEL is same model and works the same way. My 522 FEL seems to work as it should. I just assumed her hoses had been reconnected incorrectly by someone in the past and intended to swap them around next time I used that tractor. Is correcting the function operation not that simple?

/ JD 521 Loader control problems #17  
the joystick controller can be put on wrong.turn it around where the drop/float position is after the powered lower position.

I have a neighbor whose FEL is same model and works the same way. My 522 FEL seems to work as it should. I just assumed her hoses had been reconnected incorrectly by someone in the past and intended to swap them around next time I used that tractor. Is correcting the function operation not that simple?

Just when I was sure mine was wrong you come along and tell me this! I have already tried changing hoses around and the only thing it did was make me lose the bucket up funtion and gain the fast dump feature in the second click to the right (stick still wont move left). The one reason (besides everybodys oppinion here) I am sure its broke is the manual shows conventional stick movement.

/ JD 521 Loader control problems #19  
Just when I was sure mine was wrong you come along and tell me this! I have already tried changing hoses around and the only thing it did was make me lose the bucket up funtion and gain the fast dump feature in the second click to the right (stick still wont move left). The one reason (besides everybodys oppinion here) I am sure its broke is the manual shows conventional stick movement.

For the record, I definitely think something is wrong with the neighbors. On hers forward is down, left is curl down(dump), back is up and right is curl up unless you push through to far right and it goes into quick dump. Short of that it goes through all the motions. Sounds like hose swap would correct her issues and if yours won't go into a certain position then it would be a mechanical malfunction.

For the record, I definitely think something is wrong with the neighbors. On hers forward is down, left is curl down(dump), back is up and right is curl up unless you push through to far right and it goes into quick dump. Short of that it goes through all the motions. Sounds like hose swap would correct her issues and if yours won't go into a certain position then it would be a mechanical malfunction.

Yea, I agree. Sounds like hoses.