JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard
I looked at JDparts to compare your MFWD drive shaft to that of my 5210 and they look the same. The following is from the tech manual for my 5210, attached picture from JDparts

1. Remove cap screws (3).
2. Slide guards (1 and 2) together.
3. Remove spring pin (5).
4. Slide couplers (4) toward drive shaft (6) and remove drive shaft assembly.
5. Inspect parts for wear or damage. Check drive shaft for straightness. Replace parts as necessary.
6. Apply Moly High Temperature EP Grease to ID of couplers (4).
7. Install drive shaft assembly.
8. Install drive shaft guard cap screws (3). Tighten to specification.

Specification
Drive Shaft Guard Cap
Screws Torque ....................................................... 15 (11 lb-ft)

Having trouble finding this procedure in the technical manual. You recall what section you found it in? I am probably looking right at it!

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #22  
The techincal manual for my tractor is TM1716, this was on page 447, 50-35-15. Hope that helps.

Think I see the issue. The manual I have is one that was shared and not purchased specifically for my 2008 model tractor. I am looking at manual TM4829 that has dates at the page bottoms of (18NOV02) which I assume implies 2002. To my knowledge there was no 4wd 5xx3 models at that time. The 4wd option came later.

That being said, thanks for sharing the steps in your manual. Sounds like same procedure would work for me. May try to get it broken down this weekend.

See any reason I couldn't move the tractor after removing the shaft? Considering pulling it in my shop to disassemble and then move it back under barn.

The techincal manual for my tractor is TM1716, this was on page 447, 50-35-15. Hope that helps.

Was able to get a look at that manual and only difference seems to be mention of cotter pins vs JDParts calling for spring pins for the 5303. Will find out shortly.

Planning to have to move tractor after removing shaft. Assume no big deal if output spline turns changing alignment from when shaft was removed. Assuming the output shafts can be turned by hand to obtain proper alignment.

ForumRunner_20130209_084127.png

ForumRunner_20130209_084136.png

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #25  
TM1716 showed cotter pins as does JDparts for my tractor. Since JDparts showed cotter pins for yours I put in spring pins. Must admit I think spring pins are a better design than cotter pins.

It most likely does not matter, but I would try and put it back in the same position, if you have a paint marker you can mark everything.

Got shaft removed and is without question bent. Didn't mark shaft where removed but had to move tractor around some to change a couple of disc harrow bearings. Everything went real smooth. Hope to find out Monday if truck shop can straighten or replace for me without having to purchase a new shaft through JD. Will be ordering the front shaft guard to replace it.

ForumRunner_20130209_134042.png

ForumRunner_20130209_134051.png

ForumRunner_20130209_134102.png

ForumRunner_20130209_134121.png

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #27  
Glad you got it off without any problems and thanks for posting the pictures. Hopefully you can get it straightened. So was it spring pins or cotter pins?

Looking on JDparts for the 5210, they make a version of the splined coupling with a grease fitting. You might want to ask the JD dealer when you pick up the shaft guard, if you should grease the ends of the shaft seeing that you got it apart.

Meant to add earlier and forgot. Each end had a cotter pin in it. I have a pretty good selection of those on hand so planning to go back with cotter pins.

I noticed the manual stated to grease while reassembling but suppose you are saying inquire about the need for a zerk fitting so it could be greased as part of routine maintenance? The shaft guards do not have access holes to get to the fittings if they were installed, unless there were holes made or a different guard available.

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #29  
Following what the manual says on greasing, should more then do the job.

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #30  
That's quite a noticeable bend. Hopefully the driveline shop will get you squared away for a reasonable amount.