JD 5320 Electrical - No Turnover

/ JD 5320 Electrical - No Turnover #1  

FenderBender711

I have a 5320 that I parked a couple of days ago, ran fine at the time. Tried to crank yesterday and today and I get maybe a slight click at the ignition. Nothing at the solenoid that I can tell.

Checked and replaced battery as it was 8 years old. Not the issue.

Jumped the solenoid and was able to get a turn over, but no crank.

Could a safety switch still be a possibility? It is acting like a safety switch situation where you leave the PTO in gear. As a matter of fact I turned it off with it in gear and when I noticed it, I thought it would crank right up after taking it out of gear.

Anyway, any suggestions are appreciated. I am assuming the solenoid may be bad but expected it to crank after I jumped it.

Update: a friend of mine doesn't think the solenoid is the problem. Back to square one.

Last edited:
   / JD 5320 Electrical - No Turnover #2  
Check/clean/tighten all four battery cable connections. Is trans in neutral & pto turned off?

/ JD 5320 Electrical - No Turnover
Yes on all of the above. Thanks for responding. I think I am going to have to learn how to use my multimeter for more than checking voltage.

/ JD 5320 Electrical - No Turnover #4  
+1 to TX Jim advice. I would also check the fuses mainly the 30 amp (link to manual included if needed). Since you had left it in gear, could be the neutral switch got stuck, I would check that.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE199128_19/?tM=FR

I have attached the starting system for the 5X10, should be close to yours.

Attachments

• startsys3.jpg
    startsys3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 2,672
   / JD 5320 Electrical - No Turnover #5  
Jumped the solenoid and was able to get a turn over, but no crank.

I know this has been discussed before, but to me when you crank an engine, you are turning it over. Starting is the intent and hopefully the result (most of the times ideally) of cranking.

The term "cranking" an engine, refers to exactly that, from the days before electric starters, when engines where manually hand cranked.

Perhaps this is a regional term?

Didn't mean to hijack thread. Off soapbox now. :2cents: :)

Check if voltage is making it to the solenoid's coil when you turn the key. If not, there's probably a problem upstream (key switch, interlocks (pto switch, neutral position switch, etc...) etc...).

/ JD 5320 Electrical - No Turnover #6  
If ya need them, I have PDF's of the Deere tech manuals that you're welcome to, just shoot me your email if wanted

Joe