JD 5320.....will it really handle this?

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this? #1  

bswiv

Silver Member
Tractor
CAT D5G, Kubota M8540, KubotaB2700
It's a 4WD, no cab and no bucket......and no weights. Got a lot of hours on it and will need the breaks worked on as they drag, plus a new radiator. But for the price all that is okay.

What I am a little concerned about is that the purpose for it is to haul a 225 gallon PTO driven water tank when we do prescribed burns. The frame the tank is on is a beast...3/8 X 2 SQ welded tubing.....and it's not just a underframe but a box frame. So the frame must add a good 300+ pounds.....maybe a lot more.

My concern is that even though the "specs" for the tractor say it will handle in the 3300 pound range I know from experience with other tractors that just because it will lift it does not mean that you want to be wandering about the woods with whatever it is attached.

So.......225 gallons.....1800 pounds....+ at least 400 more for the frame pump and the like......is this going to flop around and be dangerious?

Or is it far enough under the spec max to where it is going to be reasonable?

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this? #2  
Two thoughts come to mind!
1 Acquire a set of front weights
2 Don't fill the tank clear full
JMHO, YMMV, Dave

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this?
The not full part I considered already......but.....when we go to the fire line a full water tank is sort of the idea.

The weights are on my list, as is water in the tires......still....don't want to be close to the line on it.

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this? #4  
I presume this is a 3 point mounted sprayer and not pull type. How far back is the tank from the lift points or arms? How high above ground will you be carrying this load? If built like standard 3 point sprayer it should handle it. If tank is way behind the tractor or way above lift arms then could be problems.

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this? #5  
should be ok. suitcase weights, if the frame is as solid as you mentioned, maybe some wheelie wheels on the back of the frame:)

Best,

ed

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this? #6  
I have the exact same tractor with no turbo and I've lifted 3,000 lb items both with my loader and my three-point and driven at slow speed with them. As long as they're counterbalanced and you're careful it's a non-issue. I wouldn't be too concerned about something in the 2000 lb range as long as you keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

You might want to think about the water sloshing around in the tank and how that's going to contribute to instability. I don't know what your tank looks like or if it's even feasible but baffles may be helpful here

Also you want to set your tires out as wide as possible

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this? #7  
I had a 5310 and hauled more weight than that quite often. My ditchbank cutter weighs 2100 lbs I think. I did have a weight bar and a few hundred pounds in weight on it.

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this? #8  
You are gonna want front weights. Too bad it dont have a loader....because thats perfect front weight.

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this? #9  
Loaders aren't very good hanging off the front when you're working in the woods. Don't know what it is about a loader but unless I'm actually using it I can't stand having it on my tractor. Especially is I have something on the 3PH. I guess all the years of farming before we even knew what a loader was engrained that in me. I do put mine on quite often but it comes right back off when I'm done.

/ JD 5320.....will it really handle this? #10  
Loaders aren't very good hanging off the front when you're working in the woods. Don't know what it is about a loader but unless I'm actually using it I can't stand having it on my tractor. Especially is I have something on the 3PH. I guess all the years of farming before we even knew what a loader was engrained that in me. I do put mine on quite often but it comes right back off when I'm done.
I dont like my loader on either unless I am using it. But in the past when collecting maple sap and using a 265gal IBC tote....The loader was needed for anything north of ~160 gallons. Without it....even slight bumps would make for wheelies. And a few times I had to drive in reverse up a few of the hills just to get home because I didnt have the loader on. If we know its gonna be a good haul for the day, I put the loader on but take the bucket off.

My tractor is 75" wheelbase and ~4000lbs without loader

Dad has a old 630 that we have used before with totes. Its limit is ~200 gallons before the front starts having issues staying down.

That tractor is a 90" wheelbase and 5800 pounds

The tractor the OP is considering is 4800# and only an 80# wheelbase. Id expect it to do better than my MX, but not as good as the old 630. So Im guessing 175-180 gallons would be about its max on level and smooth ground without the addition of front weights.