JD 5400 stalls and dies when throttled down to idle

/ JD 5400 stalls and dies when throttled down to idle #1  

Fjpj68

Tractor
John Deere 5400
I have a 1997 JD 5400. Initially I started losing power, got hard to start and eventually would no longer start. Filter and tank were full of gunk and water. Changed filter, cleaned primer on top, blew line to tank, drain and flushed tank, changed all fuel line, return line and vent with line. Solenoid valve at injector pump is working fine. I got everything primed back up. Tractor will start fine and run fine now except for when I throttle down to idle it will die. Starts right back up. do I have a problem with injector pump or injectors. there was a lot of crud build up in those old lines. I’ve had the tractor for 5 years never had a problem other than the normal maintenance stuff like changing fuel filter.

/ JD 5400 stalls and dies when throttled down to idle #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

How long ago did you have/handle the "gunk and water" problem? I ask this because the biological growth could be coming back. Or, there's still some debris in the fuel line/system from the initial growth problem.

Did you use a diesel 'biocide' and are you continuing to do so? You don't say where in the world you are but, if you're anywhere in Australia/NZ, I highly recommend "Fuel Doctors" treatment. If not, either a local auto-parts shop or Marine (boats/ships) shop should be able to advise you on the best product.

An inspection camera, put down into the fuel tank, could show you if there's debris in there or the start of a re-infestation of the growth. The biological growth will look like phlegm mixed with fairy-floss (cotton candy).

Enjoy the site.

/ JD 5400 stalls and dies when throttled down to idle #3  
Ditto on need to utilize fuel conditioner that contains a Biocide. What are engine crankshaft rpm's when engine stops operating?

/ JD 5400 stalls and dies when throttled down to idle
I am Located in South Louisiana. I have not used a biocide. I just flushed everything out and changed lines.

/ JD 5400 stalls and dies when throttled down to idle #5  
What is engine crankshaft RPM's a few seconds prior to engine stopping operation??????????????

/ JD 5400 stalls and dies when throttled down to idle #6  
If water got to the injection pump, then it’s very likely that the internals got rusted..
Have u tried to get to low idle slowly.??
If it’s a water/algae problem, u should take care of that before getting the pump and injectors looked at... otherwise you’ll end up with the same problem in short order..
Good luck and READ THE BIOCIDE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY..
If u add way to much, it’ll eat the injection pump (aluminum) from the inside out..

/ JD 5400 stalls and dies when throttled down to idle #7  
Use a biocide.
I am Located in South Louisiana. I have not used a biocide. I just flushed everything out and changed lines.
Power service makes one speficily for fuel that's alreaty got growth in it.