JD 650 Polarity Followup

/ JD 650 Polarity Followup #31  
I've got a dead horse over here. Is this the place I can get it beaten?:laughing:

Last edited:
   / JD 650 Polarity Followup #33  
To TxJim, TheFred and ZebraFive -- Thanks to you and all who contributed. It turned out to be a pretty weird story and more complicated than anticipated, particularly for those of us that don't to this stuff all day.
People that don't fix this stuff all day should, perhaps, stick to that strategy. :laughing: Just kidding. Listen, no one was rude or insulting and in fact, were quite happy that you found the solution. You took their comments as pokes, which they weren't at all. Lighten up. Your tractor is running. You learned a few things. You updated your troubleshooting skills. Life's good. :)

/ JD 650 Polarity Followup #34  
You now tell me that although I've received notifications about posts for the three years I've been a member, I shouldn't trust the Forum.
That's exactly what he's saying. Many, many TBN members have had an issue once in a while with forum notifications. You need to check back on your own posts once in a while, especially since you saw no notifications for a while. Its a common thing. Hope that helps.

/ JD 650 Polarity Followup #35  
Just sayin D'oh & DOH aren't the same THING!!!!

if you read the link. under D'OH .. it is also listed as DOH.. lastly.. i type on a phone. to get some special punctuation marks I have to flip to another screen.. it's not convienient.

I kinda figured anyone intelegent enough to use the internet and read this site MIGHT have also figured that out... espeially since there was contextual supporting info with it. ie. the 'head slapping sound '

guess I was wrong? ;)

/ JD 650 Polarity Followup
Soundman - It's refreshing to see you admit to being wrong about something. Your reputation precedes you. :laughing:

/ JD 650 Polarity Followup #37  
Soundman - It's refreshing to see you admit to being wrong about something. Your reputation precedes you. :laughing:

it's extremely hard to follow your posts if you don't use the quote feature....

/ JD 650 Polarity Followup #38  
I've got a dead horse over here. Is the place I can get it beaten?:laughing:

see.. i knew it was too easy. he said he'd put me on ignore.. yet he still replied to my posts. :)

I think it's just sour grapes because he couldn't figure out that he had his battery charged backwards and he's mad. :)

/ JD 650 Polarity Followup #39  
DOH!!.. 2 threads to figure that out ( head slapping sound ) :)
You shouldn't have used the smiley face. :punch:

Hee hee hee.

I'd never heard of a battery being reverse charged. Seemed far fetched, but apparently can happen. Anyway, all it turned out to be was a battery that was put in backwards? Who'd suspect that someone else would use your battery and then put it back in backwards? But, its a good explanation and resolves all questions. Heck, the other day at -16f the volt meter on my Suburban when I started it started fluctuating wildly between 0 and 14v with the revving of the engine. I started thinking all kinds of bad stuff.... alternator, battery, etc.... it finally got warm last weekend and I opened the hood..... all it turned out to be was the serpentine belt came off the idler pulley. SOOOoooo simple, yet I thought the worst until troubleshooting it. Go figure? :thumbsup:

/ JD 650 Polarity Followup #40  
So to summarize, the OP's JD 650 tractor IS in fact a negative ground system that ended up with a dead battery that was charged up off the tractor and then installed incorrectly; with the polarity of the battery reversed at the connections to the battery. Eventually this error was discovered and the OP has righted the error and everything is fine back in JD 650 town.:thumbsup:
Glad the forum notification on threads issue has been brought to light too for those of us who might otherwise not have known, and that I chose to inquire directly of the OP as to what the final outcome of the situation was regarding the original thread. All is well now at TBN and those who can do or will just keep ignoring posts for the betterment of all, or try sending messages from a computer instead of a phone for all our sakes and not having to wade through excessive gibberish. Duh, d'oh, dough, doughnutz...:confused3::shocked::rolleyes::eek::confused2:

CM out