JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor?

/ JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor? #11  
This is great, guys, thanks. That sounds like the best idea. I have a fair amount of electrical experience so I'm pretty sure I could wire it in. But I'm worried about physically mounting it. Does anybody know whether a Delco alternator will fit on the same mounting holes as the original generator? Otherwise, does anybody know how involved the required modifications are?

You may get all the mounting parts through JD or try a tractor wrecker. It was common practice years back to convert these older tractors to alternators.

/ JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor? #12  
Google the s10 on flebay some have some brackets with a retrofit kit
but 4 pieces of angle and a piece of flat stock welded or bolted together.

Uni BRACKET & 12-volt Delco 10SI ALTERNATOR 63-amp | eBay

10SI%20uni-bracket%20combo%201.jpg

Universal bracket & 1-wire Delco 10SI

/ JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor? #13  
Assuming you are referring to the single wire alternators (had forgotten about that) I agree if it fits go for it.

Might compare the Deere OEM alternator brackets to the Delco alternator. Just thinking you may be able to buy the brackets that fit without a lot of fabrication.

Didn't see the last two posts before answering.

I will try to get you an up close picture of the alternator setup on my 820, which is a late 73 model.

/ JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor? #14  
You may get all the mounting parts through JD or try a tractor wrecker. It was common practice years back to convert these older tractors to alternators.

All well & good except this tractor was factory fitted with an alternator.

No more trouble than it is to wire, I'd connect the Delco as a non-self-exciting (3 wire) alternator. Far more reliable charging and will make use of the existing charge indicator lamp that will tell you when the system is working.

/ JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor? #16  
A 6 volt alternator is not the solution here. Amazing how folks hurry to post without understanding the problem, or apparently even being familiar with the machine in question.

/ JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor? #17  
I agree with the majority here. A Delco alternator is definitely the lowest cost alternative here. It has a built in regulator, so you won't need to buy that also and they are so widely used, they are very inexpensive. The generator you pictured is a Delco. I can't really answer how to fit it up, The mounting bracket you now have may not be original since the generator is not correct. The best thing would be to get the alternator and see how close everything is to aligning. Sometimes very little or no modification is needed to mount.

/ JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor? #18  
A 6 volt alternator is not the solution here. Amazing how folks hurry to post without understanding the problem, or apparently even being familiar with the machine in question.

I did not say it was the solution here. Some one might be interested in a 6 volt Alternator. Just trying to be helpful. When I started working in Garages in 1959 there were lots of 6 volt positive ground systems around. I am VERY familiar with Machines. You are right some people are very quick to post on here. Some People seem to know more than others. Have a good Day.

/ JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor?
jd110 said:
I agree with the majority here. A Delco alternator is definitely the lowest cost alternative here. It has a built in regulator, so you won't need to buy that also and they are so widely used, they are very inexpensive. The generator you pictured is a Delco. I can't really answer how to fit it up, The mounting bracket you now have may not be original since the generator is not correct. The best thing would be to get the alternator and see how close everything is to aligning. Sometimes very little or no modification is needed to mount.

Well, the generator *says* "Wilson" on it, although I can't find mention of a Wilson OEM parts manufacturer anywhere. In any case it doesn't look like either the tractor or the generator has any alterations to make it fit. The mounting points on the generator match perfectly with the mounting points cast into the tractor's engine block.

However, it also looks like the Delco generator (somebody?) linked to on ebay has a bracket that matches. So I think I'm going to try that. Even if it doesn't, the picture of the bracket gives me an idea about how I could build one with the right dimensions.

Anybody want a 6v generator, slightly used?

/ JD 820 - 6 volt alternator on a 12 volt tractor?
Okay guys, I ordered a Delco alternator and a universal bracket. Got the bracket assembled correctly, replaced the pulley, and fitted the entire thing in the tractor. But that leads to a problem I don't know how to solve: the alternator is fatter than the old generator was, and I can't swing it in towards the engine block far enough to get the belt around the alternator pulley. The case of the alternator hits the engine head. I assume this means I need to install a longer belt, right? But how do I do that? As best I can tell I'll have to drain and remove the radiator in order to get the belt around the fan pulley.

Does anybody know what the procedures are for this? Or where I can buy a JD 820 service manual?