JD 850 Yanmar Injector Pump instructions needed

/ JD 850 Yanmar Injector Pump instructions needed #11  
ZZVYB6,
I have a few questions regarding the post below. I have highlighted the areas of interest.

Where is the index mark on the starter housing? Would it be possible to show me a photo? There is no information regarding this in the JD 850,950, and 1050 Tech Manual

Bit confused about the number of the mark, should it be 2 or 3? Your comment and numbering are confusing, sorry.

Where is the fuel shutoff solenoid plunger?

Turn engine clockwise as viewed from the flywheel????
Shouldn't this be clockwise as veiwed from front of engine?

Pistons and injection pumps are numberd 1, 2, 3 counted from the flywheel end of the engine.

Engine flywheel has 3 sets of timing marks. The sets are numbered to match the piston numbers.

Turn flywheel until the number 3 piston TDC mark aligns with timing index mark on starter housing. (Number 3 is the reference because 1 and 3 are hidden by the frame, etc.

Attach tool JDF-14 or an old cutoff piece of fuel injection line onto fuel injection line #1 with a drop catch can at the end.

Turn key switch on. Do NOT start engine. Push fuel shutoff solenoid plunger in.

Turn flywheel clockwise (viewed from flywheel end) until fuel flow stops.

Keep turning flywheel clockwise slowly until fuel flows again in a stream.

If fuel flow does not stop, you are on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.

Slowly turn flywheel counter clockwise until fuel flow changes from a stream to drops then stops.

turn key off. Flywheel is now at the point of beginning of fuel injection.

Check position of timing mark on flywheel. Timing mark on flywheel must be aligned with timing index on starter plate.

If marks are not aligned, for every 2.2 mm that the marks are misaligned, the injection timing is off 1.0 degree.

If timing is less that 1 degree off, no adjustment is necessary.

If more than 1 degree, adjust injection pump timing.

Keep in mind the flywheel turns counter clockwise.

If timing mark on flywheel has not reached timing index, ****** injection timing by increasing total shim thickness under injection pump.

If timing mark has passed timing index mark, ADVANCE timing by decreasing total shim thickness.

Do NOT use old shims. Injection pump timing is affected by using old shims. Measure old shims to determine total thickness.

For every 0.1 mm of shim thickness there is approximately a 1 degree change in position of flywheel.

Shim sizes are 0.2 mm (.008") prodeces 2 deg (4.5 mm) on flywheel.

0.3 mm = 3 deg =6.5 mm.

0.5 mm = 5 deg or 11 mm.

Apparently there can be quite a bit of wear on these shims. They show a typical 2 mm shim that is now 1.1 mm.

Let us know if this adjustment id easy and how much improvement the motor gets ! Good luck.

/ JD 850 Yanmar Injector Pump instructions needed #12  
Since I'm about to undertake this on my JD650, I'll add my 2 cents.

I got my tech manual electronically from deere, $75. Bugger on that is that its a protected PDF with pictures of the pages and not OCR'd, so you can't search it. I got a trial of adobe acrobat, OCR'd the document, and now I have a version that I can search (even if some of the text didn't OCR correctly). not perfect, but it works.

My instructions do say "clockwise as viewed from the front". I assume that would be the same here.

My tech manual does not have any breakdown of the fuel injection pump or how to repair. Frankly, it says "Do not attempt to disassemble or repair injection pump. If malfunction is suspected, replace pump". Hoye quoted me under $500 for a rebuild. Another place gave me a price of over $1000. So, if you have someone do a rebuild, shop around. Also, if it's a Yanmar engine, you may be able to get a fuel pump directly from Yanmar if you are lucky. Mine was clearly labeled with a Yanmar part placard and part number, so I was able to get the last brand new one from Yanmar directly.

On my tractor, #1 cylinder is the timing cylinder and there is only the TDC and the beginning of injection mark on the fan belt drive pulley. So, I can't comment on a 3 cylinder engine.

It sounds like the model these instructions are written for has a electric pump of some sort. Mine is gravity feed and you have to remove the delivery valve on the pump to do the timing and you don't have to turn the key on.

/ JD 850 Yanmar Injector Pump instructions needed #13  
   / JD 850 Yanmar Injector Pump instructions needed #14  
Jd850yanmar injector pump insructions

/ JD 850 Yanmar Injector Pump instructions needed #15  
And your question is ??

Welcome to TBN

/ JD 850 Yanmar Injector Pump instructions needed #16  
Ask this over in the Classic Yanmar sub-forum and you'll get some excellent advice. And maybe a free copy of the service manual.