Price Check JD 850

/ JD 850 #1  

NWOutlawMX

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3038e, International TD8E, Kobelco SK120, 2007 Case JX1090U, 86 International Dumptruck
I found a JD 850 on craigslist listed for $5800 and has 1000 hrs. on it. I have not physically looked at it yet but the picture shows it in a garage and looks clean so am guessing they were good about maintenance. I live in Oregon. Is this a reasonable price?

There are a couple others for $4000 but they have 8-10,000 hrs on them.

/ JD 850 #2  
Any attachments..FEL,tire chains,mower etc.etc.
If not to far travel I would scoot over take look/listen maybe test spin...fair price.

/ JD 850 #3  
Those JD X50 series tractors are built like tanks (or real tractors, not subcompacts). Getting a little old so parts may be hard to find, but I doubt you'll need many of those. $5800 is a good price for the 850 with 1000 hours (it's just getting broken in good) especially as Thomas notes if you get the FEL or other attachments included and it is in good shape.

PH

/ JD 850 #4  
Looks like a good deal.(The one in Vancouver??) 4x4 and power steering and it looks good too!

/ JD 850
Looks like a good deal.(The one in Vancouver??) 4x4 and power steering and it looks good too!

That's the one....not advertising any attachments but looks like there is a box blade or something on it so i would be able to deal. I'm hoping they have a brush cutter. I'll give them a call.

There is also a Yanmar F16 with a FEL and rototiller with new tires and also for 6500 and looks to be in great shape but seems like the tractor itself is smaller.

I intend to put a post hole digger to build a mile of fence and brush hog aprx 40 acres of 2 -6ft blackberry bushes. Are these the correct size or should I be looking bigger, budget won't allow me much more.

I notice you have a YM186d, There is also one for 4900 with a FEL. Would it be big enough for the what I will be doing?

/ JD 850 #6  
The 186d is only 18hp. You would be way better off with the JD850, it should do the job,but if you are planning to bale hay etc. you need something bigger. The F16 would be very hard to find parts for,you can't even get a manual in english.

/ JD 850 #7  
I love my 850. Bought it new in 1988. I have a bush hog, post hole digger, box scrapper, harrow, boom and finish mower that I use on it. Has turf tires. Out side of oil changes and one flat tire, it has never been in a shop for repairs in the 24 years I've owned it. My only regret.... I didn't get a front end loader. Too poor back then.... knowing what I've done with it over the years, I should have taken out a loan to get it! Made up for it just last year by buying a Bobcat with a grapple on it. Now I have both. Now if only I could get a back hoe.... darn, that list never ends...LOL Good luck. You can't go wrong with an 850. This is the only handy picture I have to show. I assume it is what you are looking at. What year is the one you're looking at?

Attachments

• Sawmill Shed 7-8-10 002.jpg
    Sawmill Shed 7-8-10 002.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 265
   / JD 850
I love my 850. Bought it new in 1988. I have a bush hog, post hole digger, box scrapper, harrow, boom and finish mower that I use on it. Has turf tires. Out side of oil changes and one flat tire, it has never been in a shop for repairs in the 24 years I've owned it. My only regret.... I didn't get a front end loader. Too poor back then.... knowing what I've done with it over the years, I should have taken out a loan to get it! Made up for it just last year by buying a Bobcat with a grapple on it. Now I have both. Now if only I could get a back hoe.... darn, that list never ends...LOL Good luck. You can't go wrong with an 850. This is the only handy picture I have to show. I assume it is what you are looking at. What year is the one you're looking at?

For the FEL and backhoe part I will be going with a Case 580K, I also intend to build a motocross track on a portion of the property (80 acres total). I just need something to get the fence in and blackberries down that is also small enough for my girlfriend and her two kids to learn on - they have never driven a tractor. Not sure on the year but looks exactly like yours.

/ JD 850 #9  
They're good machines, we've had a '83 950 since 1986. Stout engines, the brake shoes wear quickly if the housing fills with dust, and the clutch can wear because the plates stick together. Store it with the clutch pedal depressed and that will help. Parts are a little hard to find, but they are out there.