JD 870 electrical - location of ground connections?

/ JD 870 electrical - location of ground connections? #1  

PatasColo

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20S HST and Gravely walk-behind (2 wheel tractor - 700 lbs.).
Hi helpful friends! :D
Neighbor has a JD 870 that sits out in the weather. Recently started having intermittent problems with some of his gauges (I think temp and fuel, just like in this post: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/179724-jd-870-gauges-mystery.html

Can anyone tell me where to look for the physical locations of ground connections on this tractor? I figure the first thing to try is cleaning and securing all those (including battery neg cable). Next is to look for other corroded connections. And if you have any other specific helpful suggestions, I'm all ears. (He just phoned me about it, so I haven't had a chance to look at anything myself yet, and he's out of town for this week.)
Thanks! :thumbsup:
-Mitch

/ JD 870 electrical - location of ground connections? #2  
After your "first" plan on battery cables, then I would look for a mouse nest or two. They seem to like building under cover, and also like chewing on wires.

I'll look at the tech manual, but not sure the 'physical' locations of ground connections are pointed out.

I'll gander at the tech manual and here are the engine components, the dash, and the machine.

Attachments

• 870_elec_engine.JPG
    870_elec_engine.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • 870_elec_dash.JPG
    870_elec_dash.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • 870_elec_machine.JPG
    870_elec_machine.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:
   / JD 870 electrical - location of ground connections? #3  
After your "first" plan on battery cables, then I would look for a mouse nest or two. They seem to like building under cover, and also like chewing on wires.

I'll look at the tech manual, but not sure the 'physical' locations of ground connections are pointed out.

I'll gander at the tech manual and here are the engine components, the dash, and the machine.

The actual physical locations aren't shown, but the wiring schematic will help you trace the wiring.

beenthere, you may have a better 870 manual then I do...mine was for all of the x70 series machines (and an addendum for the early 790). If you don't find anything, PM me.

Last edited:
   / JD 870 electrical - location of ground connections?
Thanks to both of you, BeenThere and Roy. :)
My neighbor buddy gets back home tomorrow or next day. The mouse nest search is a good hint to look for... thanks for the reminder. And though the pics don't show the ground specifically, the location of electrical components and the wiring schematic should help us locate it (as Roy points out).

I'll let you all know how it goes (we'll probably look at it this week or weekend).

In the meantime, I exercised my backhoe on our "mini quarry" yesterday... gotta take some "before" pics before I get too far, so that I can then take "after" pics. ;) It sure was fun, and I'm starting to get the "feel" of the backhoe (i.e. making the bucket do what I want).

Thx again! :thumbsup:
-Mitch