jd 870 pto question

/ jd 870 pto question #1  

bigkuhna99

Tractor
jd 870
Just bought an jd870 and when my pto is engaged and I put it in gear to move forward the engine shuts off. What am I doing wrong?

/ jd 870 pto question #2  
Just bought an jd870 and when my pto is engaged and I put it in gear to move forward the engine shuts off. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like a bad neutral or PTO safety switch to me. Could also be the operator presence safety switch under the seat.
Does the tractor operate OK with the PTO off? That would lead me to the Operator Presence or PTO safety switch. The neutral safety switch would (should) prevent the starter cranking the engine. These switches aren't expensive, BTW...20 bucks or so.

BTW, it's too late in your case...but for others reading this... It's fine to buy used tractors...all three of mine were used. But check all the controls before you buy...just in case.

/ jd 870 pto question
It run fines until you engage the PTO. Once the PTO is engaged and when I put it in gear to move forward it shuts off the engine. thanks for you in put

/ jd 870 pto question #4  
It run fines until you engage the PTO. Once the PTO is engaged and when I put it in gear to move forward it shuts off the engine. thanks for you in put

If you lift the seat, you'll see the Operator's Presence" switch. Try unpluging it and plugging it back in...might just be a bit of corrosion. That's the easiest thing to do...I can't recall where the PTO switch is.
Good tractor, the 870...almost bought one myself (years ago), but I didn't get there quick enough. Got a 790 instead. The 870 is a more robust tractor then the 790.

/ jd 870 pto question
anyone know were the PTO safety is on an 870 compact?

/ jd 870 pto question #6  
It is in the rearend case. If you look at the dipstick on the back of the tractor for the hydraulic fluid then look about 3 inches forward of that on the left side of the case you will see the sensor. It will be obvious because there are 2 wires coming out of it.

/ jd 870 pto question #7  
looking at the drawing, it doesn't appear that it can actually shut off the tractor. It is there to keep it from starting if engaged. When it dies, does it shut off (does the fuel solenoid release) or does it seem to bog down and die?

/ jd 870 pto question #8  
looking at the drawing, it doesn't appear that it can actually shut off the tractor. It is there to keep it from starting if engaged. When it dies, does it shut off (does the fuel solenoid release) or does it seem to bog down and die?

It should prevent the starter from cranking. But since the 870 is at least 13-14 years old, that switch may be malfunctioning...might also be the Operator's Presence (Seat) switch going bad.