JD 950 hydraulic screen

/ JD 950 hydraulic screen #11  
The screw-on filter canister is part of the FIPS (Field Installed Power Steering Kit) Do you have the screw-on canister?
Hydraulic Oil Filter FIPS 0001046810____________A2.gif

Compare your hydraulic lines to the Parts Catalogue:

Hydraulic Lines 850 950 0001046812____________A2.gif

You'll note the suction screen can be removed from either side.

/ JD 950 hydraulic screen #12  
It is my understanding that an 85 did have power steering. I have an early model 950 (1978) and it does not. Sorry I'm no help on the hydraulics.

/ JD 950 hydraulic screen #13  
Thanks for that Spanner. I do not have the screw on filter. I went to the JD dealer today and picked up a new screen, waiting on the o-ring. The end cap is no longer available so I'm hoping the cap was threaded and I can take the elbow off to replace it with a plug or leave the elbow on and plug the other end.

I will look for the rest of those drain plugs. Once I pull them and all the fluid drains out is there a specific way of refilling them? Or do I just refill at the shifter (where the dip-stick is) and run it to get the pump moving the fluid everywhere? Is there other places to pour the new fluids in or all into the same hole?

Where did you pull the diagrams from? After my visit to the dealer I tried going onto the JD Parts Catalog (JDPC) but wasn't able to locate my machine.

/ JD 950 hydraulic screen #14  
Thanks for that Spanner. I do not have the screw on filter. I went to the JD dealer today and picked up a new screen, waiting on the o-ring. The end cap is no longer available so I'm hoping the cap was threaded and I can take the elbow off to replace it with a plug or leave the elbow on and plug the other end.

I will look for the rest of those drain plugs. Once I pull them and all the fluid drains out is there a specific way of refilling them? Or do I just refill at the shifter (where the dip-stick is) and run it to get the pump moving the fluid everywhere? Is there other places to pour the new fluids in or all into the same hole?

Where did you pull the diagrams from? After my visit to the dealer I tried going onto the JD Parts Catalog (JDPC) but wasn't able to locate my machine.

Yes, that cap is threaded - You can see the pipe plug in the LH cap in the second pic in my post #11 on this page. (Item #32)

Fill through the dipstick hole as you have noted.

Both JDPC and the newer JD parts Catalogue show two catalogues for the 8 & 950 with the S/no break at 20000/1
On JDPC the catalogues are #1876 and #2016 when you "search" for "950" and are 7th & 9th down the list. The PC#2016 includes the 1050 as well.

The 'newer' "Mobile" app site has them listed at #5 & #7:

John Deere Parts Catalog

/ JD 950 hydraulic screen #15  
Thanks again! Last question. Do I need to drain the hoses too? If so, how; just unhook them and let them drain?

/ JD 950 hydraulic screen #16  
Not necessary. Most people just drain the trans and change the filter. You get a 95%+ oil change and you'll never get it all out.