JD Downward Spiral Continues

/ JD Downward Spiral Continues #1  

M. Sullivan

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710 w/ 402 Loader and 72" belly mower.
Check out http://www.turfquip.com/max_spin.jpg: JD dealers to only service, not sell L&G equipment.

Confirms what I have learned over the past couple years--parts have become a major profit center for JD. Have found them grossly expensive, looks like it will only get worse. Shocked at the number of product problems I am seeing this year. Can't see why anyone would buy any green product. Looks like the bean counters have completely taken over the co..

Ride that brand name into the dirt!

/ JD Downward Spiral Continues #2  
Heck its not just John Deere.
Just take a look at your locate car & truck dealership,appliance stores etc.. for parts and labor are a major income today.

John Deere still a good tractor, and I believe its how the corporation also sales and service manage to express themselves to future buyers.

Who to say that Kubota or New Holland might be looking into this area also,or maybe they already have.

Take care and have pleasant weekend.

Thomas..NH

/ JD Downward Spiral Continues #3  
Any dealer that has sales, parts and service actually has three different companies to run. They should be treated as there own profit center and each department should be able to stand on their own--profit wise that is.
One reason that they might not sell the small mowers and still service them is the contract they have with deere about service of all the deere product. At work their are lines that we don't carry but we still do service to those lines.
I don't own a deere but a business must be run properly in this quickly changing market or it won't be there in the next couple of years.

Gordon

/ JD Downward Spiral Continues #4  
I saw that same thing on the lawn forum.

Looks more like a bogus joke, has any verifiable dealer confirmed this? I could make up something like that using Pagemaker on my computer and post it. I think I would title it Kubota Declares the L4310 Unuseable, Is Very Sorry.

(Just to get Mark!) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ JD Downward Spiral Continues #5  
Ive ruminated about this post... My response is that Steve Carver is on the cutting edge. This may be good or bad. Deere knows that the internet is the wave of the future and they are trying to position themselves in a competitive position. So, when you buy a Kubota or a Deere from a internet retailer and then problems arise, what happens to you when you approach a local retailer who is not internet savy and wants to charge you for the repair since he did not get the sale. We are the Guinea pigs my friends..Good or bad. Whoever is the manufacturer they had better address these issues before their customers get so pissed off they cant stand the sight of a compact tractor.

/ JD Downward Spiral Continues #6  
Competition is what is driving Deere's decision to do this. One of the biggest problems in any low volume product ( initial cost is a killer ) pick any product if Deere can eliminate the dealer profit they can save money, reduce production costs save money. Now they look good to their share holders, sell more tractors at a net increase in profit. By selling a 1000.00 dollar lawn tractor for 1500.00 instead of 2000.00 at a dealer. Now we all know being a low volume product it's not profitable for any aftermarket company to build replacment parts = no competition, Deere : So mister customer how bad do you want that part?/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif