JD Gator Manuals ?

/ JD Gator Manuals ? #1  

Wvanatti

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305 (2010)
I purchased a 1998 -2x4 gator used a couple years ago.
It ran and started fine at purchase. I hardly use it, so naturally it never starts after setting 6 months at a time. I take the carb apart, clean & always get it running.
I would like to do a rebuild on the motor. Is there a known place for quality manuals. ?
Would like to see what the compression should be. But if rings needed, gap required etc
Few google searches led nowhere.
Thanks for any info. Bill

/ JD Gator Manuals ? #3  
Are you leaving it sit with ethanol free gas in tank? And a full tank so moisture isn’t accumulated. I have a buddy that has one, he tried in vane to get ahold of a manual a few years back. JD just wanted him to bring it in and they would look it over….for a huge chunk of change. He never did. I think its stil sitting in his barn.

/ JD Gator Manuals ?
Are you leaving it sit with ethanol free gas in tank? And a full tank so moisture isn’t accumulated. I have a buddy that has one, he tried in vane to get ahold of a manual a few years back. JD just wanted him to bring it in and they would look it over….for a huge chunk of change. He never did. I think its stil sitting in his barn.

Yes, stays full of ethanol free gas. Has filter before the carb. Sits in a new barn on concrete that’s very dry. (no moisture on anything). Once I take carb apart and clean- spray out all the ports, fires right up. I have done this probably 5-10 times. I suspect it has low compression. Doesn’t smoke at all when running. Idles so smooth and quiet. But can tell this machine hasn’t been taken care of. I want to bring it to my garage and do a complete rebuild of the motor. I’ve done motorcycles, countless v-8’s and two farmall cub engines ( c-60). Know I can do it right if I have the specs. And able to order parts needed. Appreciate the reply.
Bill

/ JD Gator Manuals ? #6  
Hmm, how would cleaning carb fix a low compression start? But im no engine guru by any means.

/ JD Gator Manuals ?
Hmm, how would cleaning carb fix a low compression start? But im no engine guru by any means.

If low compression, and restricted port in carb.- not enough vacuum to ingest fuel into the combustion chamber. Obviously so many variables- gaskets, valve seat/adjustment, valve guides etc. it was just a thought. I can’t do a compression test without knowing the numbers. On the c-60 engine, ran 125-130 psi new. Would start all the way down to 60psi but not well. Crank n crank.
After carb cleaning, not like the Gator fires right off - have to crank a good bit. Who knows, maybe heat the rings up to expand. Just want to make it more reliable. Retirement this summer and plan to use it more often.

/ JD Gator Manuals ? #8  
My 4x2 '98 gator has never failed to fire right off. But it never sits for more than a two-week period before getting some use. Never has had ethanol fuel in it either, so I suspect that is a big possible problem.
The TM1518 is the service tech manual of May '05 that I have. There are 45 pages on the gas engine air-cooled in the 4x2 gator. Table of contents attached. Suggests compression should be at least 57 psi. But engine needs to crank over at 700 rpm (good battery charge) or the auto. compression release mechanism will not disengage.
Also can find a pdf on that Kawasaki FE290D-BS08 engine (I found with google). All 45 pages

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Gas_engine_tableofcontents.jpg
    Gas_engine_tableofcontents.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
   / JD Gator Manuals ?
My 4x2 '98 gator has never failed to fire right off. But it never sits for more than a two-week period before getting some use. Never has had ethanol fuel in it either, so I suspect that is a big possible problem.
The TM1518 is the service tech manual of May '05 that I have.

Good info. Thanks for the tech number