JD Gator with diesel engine?

/ JD Gator with diesel engine?
Yes John, well put. I will actually wait until the correct machines are available to compare, and I have decided PS is a requirement, for several reasons. Dealer-wise, I guess I am lucky, we have several good Polaris dealers close by, and several John Deere dealers too, most of which I have already worked with and am satisfied with. So whichever way it goes, I am covered with support. Thanks again,,,,,

/ JD Gator with diesel engine? #22  
Just bought a 855D gator on Saturday. The unit we bought has the factory power steering on it, the factory sprayed in bed liner and factory installed hydro bed tilt. I bought the top and the windshield for it from the dealer. I am going to pick up the unit on Thursday. I loved the power on the 855D and its ability to scale a 45 deg hill in 2 wheel drive with no differential lock being applied. It rode really smooth, also.
Here is my wife sitting on it at the dealership. We may have a small problem.......she seems to think it is hers.......

Attachments

• 1020121155.jpg
    1020121155.jpg
    936.4 KB · Views: 364
Had a chance to drive a CanAm Commander 800. It was a used one at a local dealer, 2010 year, 200 hours on it. I thought it was worth a try because even though it is gas and more sporty, I always feel it is a good idea to explore the envelope a bit before purchasing. Several times in the past I have purchased an item then found out that to step up a notch would get me a feature I want but didnt know about. So I drove it expecting a fairly sporty experience. The seats were extremely supportive and held me in there great with side lumbar support. The thing sure is stylish and exciting looking. It had a windshield and hardtop. Once started it was fairly loud, although we could talk while moving. The vibration was too high for comfort for more than a couple minutes, especially in the passenger seat. Steering (manual, not power) was hard and slow. Acceleration was not outstanding. So we dropped that idea.
Gator test drives at a local motocross park in about 10 days, I am all signed up!!!

/ JD Gator with diesel engine? #24  
We may have a small problem.......she seems to think it is hers.......
That's not a problem, that's reality!:laughing:

Local JD dealership held a Gator Demo day at the local motocross track ten days ago. I was allowed to drive the new RSX, and various XUV models. The RSX is fun and fast but has more vibration and noise and less utility than I need. The XUV 855D was a bit too sluggish for my tastes, and was also a bit louder than the 825i. So I ended up liking the 825i with power steering, IMO the best of the JD line. A friend has recently taken delivery on a Polaris 900 Ranger 2013 model, and is less than delighted with the vibration and creaking in that chassis. The 800 Polaris might be a better choice until they get the new 900 perfected. For me however, the Polaris and others suffer from an over-restrictive entry and exit to the seats. Even if you leave the protective nets at home, the distance between the dash and steering wheel and the bar along the seat, is too close and really slows you down, getting out especially. I know it is for safety and is a good feature, but I am leaning away from anything that will eventually become a problem as people get older and their mobility gets lower.
So I am pretty much set on a JD 825i. I have one at my house on-loan from the dealership which has 22 hours on it, and they are searching for a unit that has the right stuff on it. There are no 2013 models available yet, and they cannot be ordered yet, and they are no longer building 2012 models, so you have to dealer locate what you want at this point. On a bright note, there are massive incentives to dealers to move remaining 2012 inventory, something like $1800 on an XUV. My dealer is presently quoting me a price that is 22% off JD list price, which would make it the best JD deal I have ever made (comparing to four tractor deals).
To each his own, and i will not spend time convincing anyone that one brand is better than others, etc. Just saying "John Deere doesn't build any crap" and I expect the Gator to last a long time. Everything I look at certainly reinforces this confidence.
825 features that convinced me, in random order:
3-cyl 12-valve DOHC FI Engine design certainly smoother than any other I have heard run or operated.
JD reputation of quality and my personal experience with them.
Easier than others' access into and out of seating area.
Smooth ride & rattle-free chassis, no rattles from engine vibe nor from terrain flexing (22 hrs on this machine).
Comfort in seats, ergonomics in cab, nice quality in switches and controls, not built like a toy.
Capacity for load and haul is higher than Polaris, and is still sporty enough to meet the play mission.
Quiet enough to talk while driving, even without a windshield.
Good value for the price, compared to others, especially with current incentives.
USA built, with internationally source components of course.
Longest warrantee, twice as long as most brand such as Polaris', equal to Honda.
Enough options availble to make it somewhat personalized to better meet our mission, and add some fun.

Last edited:
   / JD Gator with diesel engine? #26  
I will throw my two cents in. I have an855D and have had problems with the shifting of the transmission. It uses a CVT and I have had it lock up twice now. Back at the dealer right now for repair. It locked up in reverse when I tried to back up a 10-15 degree slope after being in forward low gear. Very hard to get into neutral. I would be very circumspect of one of these if the transmision doesn't shift smoothly. Maybe I got a bad apple, but I would carefully evaluate the shifting especially when it is under a load. I am not convinced a snowmobile type transmission is really that good for a work vehicle.

/ JD Gator with diesel engine? #27  
I only found $800 off Gators on JDs web site. Not $1800, is this something new? Was the 22% off list including the incentive? If no incentive, what would be your % off?

I only found $800 off Gators on JDs web site. Not $1800, is this something new? Was the 22% off list including the incentive? If no incentive, what would be your % off?
I can't answer your questions, all I know is that my salesman said he had about $1800 incentive to sell the remaining 2012 models. 22% off the retail price is what I paid. I think you need to see a dealer, the web will not be updated in time (the remaining 2012 models are going fast and you may have trouble finding one already).