JD GX345 Drive problems

/ JD GX345 Drive problems #11  
I pulled the trans-axle input power pulley off of my GX345. The trans-axle input shaft spline was fine (no wear) but the spline on the inside of the pulley was worn away. I also noted that the plastic cooling fan had suffered from a bit of centrifugal force as the hole that slides over the trans-axle input shaft was out of round and a bit egg shaped. The attached image shows the spline teeth worn away on the inside of the pulley shaft. The nut and washer on the input shaft were the only parts forcing the pulley tight to the input shaft. I was getting a bit of transmission slipping on gradual slopes and thought it was the belt that was not properly snugged up. If the belt had not wore out where I changed it, I would not have found the spline issue. Hope the image helps explain what it can look like when it is worn out.

pump pulley spline wear.jpg

Last edited:
   / JD GX345 Drive problems #12  
:welcome: to TBN
Ordering a new pulley?

/ JD GX345 Drive problems #14  
Thank you Elroy4455 and JDPower, had the whining noise on my GX325 and found this thread. Pulley was stripped and fan was wobbly. Decided to disconnect fuel tank and discovered grommet that fill tube goes into was breaking down as well. Here are my part numbers FYI:

- AM131020 Pulley
- M145169 Fan
- M149638 Grommet (fuel tank)

About $60 for the whole lot. Had a tough time getting belt back on, but found it had dropped off the front pulley just enough to make my life miserable.

/ JD GX345 Drive problems #15  
what is the correct way to go about changing the trans drive pulley on my gx345? I think that may be my problem from what I have read on this site.

/ JD GX345 Drive problems #16  
Remove the fender deck and the pulley is under the small fan. Just a nut holding it on the tranny, I believe.

/ JD GX345 Drive problems #18  
bassman
You can see the schematic with parts by going to jdparts.com (free registration) and put model # in.. GX345.
Look at the alphanumeric listing and go to Pulley transaxle.. the related parts are shown as are the part numbers.

/ JD GX345 Drive problems #19  
Thanks for the info. I think that's what's wrong but not for sure.

/ JD GX345 Drive problems #20  
well I have it apart and when I try to take the nut off of fan/pulley the shaft turns with the nut. Any suggestions?