JD& Happy

/ JD& Happy #1  

Branch

Silver Member
Tractor
4300 JD, Sync Shift
I've tried to read every little scrap of information on this site and others to get educated on my first tractor purchase. I wanted a Deere because it's truly an American icon. My walls and bookshelves are filled with Deere green. But my final decision was based on the dealer. The Kubota dealer here locally was next to worthless, he knew model #'s and pricing but didn't have a clue as to how to use them. The Deere dealers salesman has driven tractors in this area since he was a little kid and he knows tractors. I asked him about every negative I could find in these discusions and he was knowlegable on 99% of it. My 4300 was a month late in arriving and during that month he just gave me a new 4500 to use until it came in. I put 29 hours on it and gave it a few wear indicators. He felt the # of hours and scratches were just fine for a beginner. My 4300 is here now and in the last 3 days I've put 10 hours on it. I couldn't be happier. If I do have problems with this tractor I'm very confident they will be fixed quickly and if not I'll get a loaner. My dealer is here for the long term and so is JD. For all of the problems I've heard about it seems like the dealers should have taken better care of their customers. Just my opinion though, I'm a newbie.

/ JD& Happy #2  
Branch, before buying a Kubota 5 years ago (because of lower price) I was partial to John Deere, too (because that's what Dad had when I was a kid). After a little more experience, I am strongly partial to Kubota; however you've stated what a lot of us have found; the dealer, rather than the brand, may be the most important factor./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ JD& Happy #3  
I agree. While looking and researching for over a year, I decided that Kubota, JD, NH, and CC all manufacture good compact tractors. Trick is finding the correct tractor for your particular use and needs. And if you are new to ownership, the dealer should be expected to know the differences, and ask the right questions. In a truly competitive market, we the consumers win.

/ JD& Happy #4  
Branch,
By the sounds you have done some home work.
I hope you won't judge all dealerships {Kubota,J.D. N.H. } the same.

Hope you have many many hours of great tractoring time./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Stay safe and/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ JD& Happy
I definitely did not write off other brands, only one dealer. I'm just happy to have found a dealer and tractor that fit my needs, and it matches my memorobilia. I have a lot of clean up work to do on my property and "0" experience. I will need help and suggestions for a long time to come. Thankfully this web site exists and the experience I've been able to tap into is incredible.

/ JD& Happy #6  
Yes it's not so much the brand but if your happy thats what counts. Myself my tractor wouldn't have been green but thats me. A stand up dealer is a triple plus in tractor owning and for help in the long run the dealer is key.
Good luck with your new toy.
Gordon

/ JD& Happy #7  
Branch, like you, I went with the dealer I was most comfortable with and I also ended up with a JD4300. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I didn't buy it because it was green, though, I am color blind, literally./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif There is a lot of good advice here but, remember, some of us are as green as you./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I got my tractor in March. I hope your first 80 hours are as trouble free as mine have been.

/ JD& Happy #8  
Took delivery on a new JD 990 MFWD with manual transmission last week.I now have 13 hours on it and it does everything it is supposed to do and it does it well. BILLG