JD LA135 Smoked on Start

/ JD LA135 Smoked on Start #1  

Rosher18

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota
My brother in law started my LA135 lawn tractor yesterday after it was parked all weekend and it smoked like crazy. Smelled oily and seemed to clatter a lot, but I was backing my Kubota L185DT out about 30 feet away and couldn't hear too well over the diesel running.

I shouted for him to shut it off and I set to pulling the rocker covers. Everything seemed tight as I had just done the valve adjustment. I pulled the plugs and they both were wet with gas. I cranked the motor over with the plugs out and the left cylinder shot some left over smoke out the plug hole.

Things seemed to spin okay so i was buttoning it up when I noticed a brown stain (looked like cooked oil) on the surface of the left cylinder rocker box bottom, opposite surface from the combustion chamber.

This tractor has 350 hours on it and has started having difficulty starting since I did the valve adjustment. When I go to crank it, it will spin a little, get stuck against the compression in one of the cylinders, then if I continue to hold the key to start it will push through and then crank over until it starts.

Can anyone tell me what's going on ?

/ JD LA135 Smoked on Start
Choke is stuck on.
Thanks for the response, buickanddeere. It's a possibility, but my wife left the choke half to 3/4 on while it was running for about 10 minutes a few weeks ago, and it didn't smoke like this.

I'll check and make sure the choke is moving properly

/ JD LA135 Smoked on Start #4  
Have you checked the oil level?

Liquids don't compress, so the engine stopping on cranking, the going again sounds like your crankcase is over full. Could be filling with gas.

/ JD LA135 Smoked on Start #5  
Rosher - have you found the smoke problem on your LA135 ?

It hasn't come back up since I posted about it. It's been run 2 or 3 more times since then.
I'll get it started up tomorrow morning to see (since it's been a while since it's been run) if it smokes again

/ JD LA135 Smoked on Start #7  
Stuck float?

I started and ran it for about 5 minutes today with no smoke. I'm going to go with "gremlins" as the cause, and watch carefully for smoky startup from now on. Quite possible the float stuck open over the long weekend when we were gone and it was a messy, gassy start.

Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions!

/ JD LA135 Smoked on Start #10  
I just love it when things fix themselves.

Richard