JD la165

/ JD la165 #11  
Nice find! Item #3 below is the kit.

GY20718-IdlerRepairBrkt.jpg

/ JD la165 #13  
Ron, if you ever have the strap come loose on the PTO clutch, it rips out the wire as the clutch spins. JD only sells the entire wiring harness at around $80, but you can get a pigtail for a Stens PTO Clutch on ebay for less than $10 or around $15 with shipping. It's still high, but you just use wire nuts to do the repair and the brand new plug fits the JD clutch. It's easier and a bunch cheaper. Not knowing this stuff can cost you big bucks as you found out on your deck.

/ JD la165
Ron, if you ever have the strap come loose on the PTO clutch, it rips out the wire as the clutch spins. JD only sells the entire wiring harness at around $80, but you can get a pigtail for a Stens PTO Clutch on ebay for less than $10 or around $15 with shipping. It's still high, but you just use wire nuts to do the repair and the brand new plug fits the JD clutch. It's easier and a bunch cheaper. Not knowing this stuff can cost you big bucks as you found out on your deck.

Thanks for the info Jim.
Yea I can see the dealer can get out of hand money wise.
I do not mind paying for work but come on a new deck to fix what I just did.

/ JD la165 #15  
Just had same problem to day with my LA105 with 700hrs. Idler bearings froze up tore up stud. Looked on internet found replacement bracket Gy20718 for $74. While looking over deck for other warn parts found belt tensioner arm and belt tensioner Idler badly warn out, After removing I noticed that the belt tensioner pulley stud bolt and the idler pulley stud were almost the same. So I ground off the back, bradded, part of the belt tensioner stud to remove it form the old tensioner arm. I then cut and ground off the top part of the idler pulley stud bolt knocked the remaining part of stud down and out with punch fitted the idler arm stud into the hole. Then welded a bead around the top shoulder of the stud where it sat on the bracket. Then looked up the cost for new tensioner arm on inter net $4.95 plus $3 shipping. then called local john deer dealer found they had tensioner arm in stock cost $6.12 with tax. Went an got had deck back together and mowing grass before dark. Total Cost for 2 new belt idler pulleys and tensioner arm about $25. time for repair and running for parts 3hr.

/ JD la165 #16  
BCUSA
:welcome: to TBN

Good on the fix, and thanks for posting what you did. Pays to have some mechanical ability and tools.