JD LT166 Won't Start

/ JD LT166 Won't Start #1  

MontyDog

Tractor
John Deere LT166
New to site, but did try searching for possible threads related to my problem. Did not get any hits so will try posting my question.

LT166 with 42" Freedom Deck, purchased around 2000 and regularly serviced by local JD dealer. Started and ran fine a couple weeks ago. Was going to chew up some more leaves this week and when I turned the key the engine wouldn't turn over. Break is engaged, PTO is disengaged. Battery was new last summer.

The only symptom is that I hear a faint buzzing sound when I turn the key to the start position. I don't think it's the battery since it measures 12V with meter and, just to be sure, I attached a portable charger/starter unit. Same symptom.

I downloaded a PDF service manual and it lists the fusible link as a possible problem. Schematic shows a direct connection from battery plus terminal to fusible link but manual has no pictures of fusible link.

Where is the fusible link? Is it something I can change? I'd like to avoid a costly visit to the JD dealer/repair shop.

Any other thoughts on possible problem(s)?

Thanks.

/ JD LT166 Won't Start #2  
First I would check all connections to make sure they are clean (free of tarnish or corrosion) and the nuts/bolts are snug. If there is still a problem would make sure battery is good. If not that then I would venture to say that the starter is in a position where it can not turn. Could be the plastic ring gear on the end of the shaft (cheap fix) or the starter itself is locked up inside (more expensive fix; replace or rebuild starter).