JD LX5 vs. Frontier 5 foot rotary mower.

/ JD LX5 vs. Frontier 5 foot rotary mower.
Cool.
Called my local dealer, and they will give me $600 in trade-in, so thats probably decent, and they are selling the New unit for $339 under list price.

/ JD LX5 vs. Frontier 5 foot rotary mower. #12  
The LX5 is listed as 70# lighter than the RC2060 because its weight is given without chains or slipclutch (520 vs 590.) Both have 11 Gauge steel decks. Minimum HP on LX5 is listed as 18 versus 20 for the RC2060. LX5 dimensions are 63 3/8 x 99; RC2060 is 63 x 101.

The RC2072 I am buying sure looks beefy up close, beefier than the King Kutter my family has used. I should be able to tell more after 10 - 20 hrs of use. I certainly don't have any reservations about the RC20 series.

My dealer wants $1,400 for the RC2060 with front chains, slip clutch, and laminated rear tire. Is that price close to what you are seeing? $1,739 is list on it!

Thanks for the info!

/ JD LX5 vs. Frontier 5 foot rotary mower. #14  
The price I have been quoted on the RC2072 6 footer with chains and slipclutch is $1650, FWIW.

/ JD LX5 vs. Frontier 5 foot rotary mower. #15  
The main difference is the mfg. The LX series cutters where assembled by Deere and the frontier are shorlined (woods I think). The nice part about LX cutters is parts come right from Deere (longer availability and ease of ordering) where the frontier parts are not stocked by Deere but by the vendor. So there is still a good demand out there for lx badged cutters for that reason.

I don't think there is a difference in who builds these? I called a bunch of dealers, and the one knew a lot about these, and he said that deere quit making the LX series, and frontier has the same exact company build them, and thats not likely Woods, or those cheaper mowers. He said the biggest problem with the cheaper ones is the weak gearboxes break.

/ JD LX5 vs. Frontier 5 foot rotary mower. #17  
I just purchased a 2520 a couple of months ago and was looking into a Frontier cutter. Oddly enough, the dealer doesn't carry Frontier mowers. He sells Rhino. He told me that John Deere stopped making some of their smaller attachments and contracted the work to Frontier. When the contract is up (whenever that is), if they can not re-negotiate a new contract, then Frontier is out. He won't be able to get any parts for them if this happens. So he just doesn't sell them all together.

I have the Rhino 148 and am quite happy. I mowed 3 acres that contained some very tall johnson grass and sunflowers in just one pass. The tops of the grass/sunflowers were above my head as I was mowing. I have to say that I was traveling at a snail's pace when the grass was over my head. It took me 5hrs to mow it all.

Adan