JD Model 40u problems

/ JD Model 40u problems #1  

Sam in TN

So was blading the driveway with the 40 the other day when it started missing real bad. Almost like ignition turned off, then it would recover then do it again few seconds later.

Not sure if its electrical or fuel related, and since I cant describe it very well I posted a video on youtube so you all could hear it and tell me what you think it is. Does it at idle as well as full throttle.

http://youtu.be/RXNT1zD7dj4

/ JD Model 40u problems #2  
Nice looking tractor! I just joined this site, and I'm sure you have found the problem by now. It sure sounds like a fuel problem. It sounds like it runs out of fuel, recovers, and runs out again. If the carburetor and all of it's ports are clean, the inlet screen in the 90 degree fitting could be partially clogged. Is the fuel flowing freely when you open the drain valve under the carb? Many years ago, my 40W would mysteriously quit. After checking for and having good fuel flow, it would quit again after driving it. A small leaf fell into the tank one day during re-fueling when I walked away breifly. This leaf would slide back and forth on the bottom of the tank, cover the outlet hole, and then slosh in another direction. I have a in-line fuel filter between my fuel bowl and carb for extra protection. Please let me know what your problem was.