JD planter questions

/ JD planter questions #1  

Agrantina

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 GST
This is for sale locally asking $1000 for it. New to planters so need some help..
what type is it till no till?
what do I need to look for when looking at used planters?
what are the arms on the sides?
anything else i should look for?
is this a good price for a 2 row?

AndyG

Attachments

• JD planter.jpg
    JD planter.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 395
   / JD planter questions #2  
I don't think these are "no-till" planters.
No-till rigs usually have a disc (or something) in front of the planters to cut through the groundcover so the planters can make good contact with the soil. I don't see anything like that, but I could be overlooking something.

The arms on the sides that are upright with the discs on the ends are the row markers. Those discs make a little furrow so you know where to drive your tractor to keep the row spacing even between the rows you just planted and the rows you are planting now.

Some people adjust the row markers to mark where the front tire should go, others adust them so they can look down the center of the trator hood for alignment.

Lots of older row crop tractors had some sort of ornament or marker in the center of the hood for lining up center row markers.

Mark

/ JD planter questions
any certian thing I need to look for?

AndyG

/ JD planter questions #5  
A side view would have been nice but it almost looks like a 2 row JD 7100 MaxEmerge. If you could find a nice 2 row JD 71 it might be cheaper.

/ JD planter questions #6  
Thats a good deal. Is it a plate model or does it have the fingers in it.

/ JD planter questions #7  
Sounds like a good deal, where there ever frames that small though? I would guess it is a homemade frame with the 7100 maxemerge planting units as mentioned above. IMO there is no such thing as a no-till planter in a three point config. A true no-till planter should be able to put seeds in pavement if you want. No-till term gets thrown around quite a bit I think there should be a second designation for opener pressures below 300psi and for above. Still if the planting units are in good shape $1,000 does not sound bad. You can very easily spend $200 to recon a finger planter unit(per row), there is some good parts competition out there for planter parts. A popular aftermarket outlet is "shoup"

/ JD planter questions #8  
The key for no till planting is to have enough weight and a coulter to start to open the seed furrow ahead of the discs. With the maxemerge units you can get the heavy duty down pressure springs, etc and rig it up for no till. It will work just like it is if you go slow and don't have much trash.

I sell 71 flex planters and don't recommend them for no till but some guys use them that way. If anyone is looking for a Flex planter I have a bunch on ebay for sale.

/ JD planter questions
As always I was to late.. :mad: Couldnt get out of work until Friday afternoon and called and it was gone.. Well-- it wasnt made to be.. Still looking so if you guys can tell me what to look for when I am looking at used ones that would be great.. Really dont care about the --no till--.. I also think that there is just not enough weight on a 3pt planter to be a no till. Besides I just got a new tiller:thumbsup:...

AndyG

/ JD planter questions
Tritonman- sent you a PM on those planters..

AndyG