Loader JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks

/ JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks #1  

Jerry1

Bronze Member
I've got a 1994 1070 (40 hp) with a 440 loader, about 1200# capacity. I'm considering buying pallet forks for general work around the house, about half the time carrying logs. Looking for recommendations for pallet forks that will fit my quick attach loader arms, and what size, 3" or 4", 36" or 42" long?

I considered converting to skid steer QA but I don't see the need for anything other than the bucket and forks. Anyone have experience with using the JD QA? I understand it's a little more diffcult and time consuming than the skid steer QA, but time is usually not an issue for me. I'll probably be converting between bucket and forks just a couple times a year. Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Additional but confusing information: I spent some time looking at pallet forks on various web sites and on one of them (Titan) someone asked if the advertised forks would work on a JD 440 loader with quick attach. Even though the manufacturer lists the 440 loader as a match their answer is confusing. They said "yes" so long as it's a hook and pin set up. But my 440 loader connects to the bucket with only pins, two on each side, one high on the hydraulic ram, one low on the lifting arm. Maybe I'd better call them.

Last edited:
   / JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks #2  
My JD 4310 has a 420 loader. The JD quick attach is pretty painless to install/remove implements. Remove two pins drop one off and grab the other. If the pins don't line up perfectly a couple quick jerks on the rollback on the loader will usually make it drop right in. If the specs for the forks you are looking at say they fit 400 series you are good to go.

I have a 42" pallet fork attachment that I picked up from titan attachments that cost me I think about 400 dollars delivered. There are tons of manufacturers out there that make quick attach forks for JD.

Once you get a set of forks you'll wonder why you didn't get them long ago. It is just a nice tool to have around to move stuff plus they work pretty good at pushing/loading brush as well. I would recommend going with at least a 42 in. fork. Theres a few times I busted out slats on pallets because my forks don't go all the way through that I think could have been avoided if I had 48" ones.

/ JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks #3  
Jerry
As super55 , I too have the Deere forks.. they switch quickly on the Deere QA, and with a little fabrication, can be used on the iMatch 3ph which I find very useful for moving pallets of firewood during the winter when the snow plow blade is on in place of the FEL.

After getting the forks, seems they are on the FEL as much or more than the bucket. Used to dig out rocks, up-root trees, loosen dirt, move brush piles, and bring logs in for firewood processing.

/ JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks #4  
Plus 1 on all of that -- QA is easy on / easy off and if I don't have some kind of excavation operation going on, I tend to leave the forks on for moving firewood pallets and logs. Also wonder if 48" would have been better than 42".

I got Rankin forks from JD dealer and the fit the QA system just fine and I think they were several hundred dollars cheaper than Frontier.

/ JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks #5  
Good luck calling Titan, they are not tractor people-they just sell stuff out of containers mostly from overseas...

Not all 440 loaders had the JDQA, so does the front of your loader look like this:
WP3661_________UN16OCT96.gif

artillian_quick_attach_pallet_fork_set_john_deere_jdqa.jpg

If it does, then you do indeed have the JDQA (John Deere Quick Attach) system, you can get high quality JDQA forks from many companies like Artillian, Everything Attachments, Frontier, Horst, and quite a few others.

No, if your bucket is just pinned on as you say like this image, then you do NOT have the JDQA and you choices are severely limited and more costly.
artillian_pin-on_pallet_fork_set_john_deere_60_70_70a.jpg

/ JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks
Thanks Kenny.

Yes, I do have the two pins, no hook, connection like in the bottom photo. Well, at least that clears that up - and all this time I thought I had a QA.

So now I'm looking at possibly a modification to QA (JD or skid steer), or finding forks to match my present set up, or upgrading to a newer tractor. I don't think I'll be changing tractors because what I've got is perfect for my needs except for this problem. They must have made a pallet fork set to match my loader arms, but they're probably pretty rare. Anyone? Please keep your eyes open for them.

Thanks - Jerry

/ JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks #7  
I have a set of Horst 48" forks. Would be lost without them.
You didn't ask this question, but suggest you make sure the forks are adjustable, in terms of width, otherwise for example, you will not be able to lift a pallet from the long end.

/ JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks #8  
Thanks Kenny.

Yes, I do have the two pins, no hook, connection like in the bottom photo. Well, at least that clears that up - and all this time I thought I had a QA.

So now I'm looking at possibly a modification to QA (JD or skid steer), or finding forks to match my present set up, or upgrading to a newer tractor. I don't think I'll be changing tractors because what I've got is perfect for my needs except for this problem. They must have made a pallet fork set to match my loader arms, but they're probably pretty rare. Anyone? Please keep your eyes open for them.

Thanks - Jerry
Here is a pin on SSQA: ATI Tach-All Universal Skid Steer Quick Attach Hitch for tractor loaders

You will need to call to see if they have them to fit your loader.

ATI-Hitch-TachAll-Quick-ATTACH-3T.jpg

ATI-Hitch-TachAll-Quick-ATTACH-4T.jpg

/ JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks #9  
My 1997 440 loader has the quick connect links. I wonder if converting an old 440 loader without QA only requires a QA bucket or attachments, and the QA brackets and the 3 pins.

/ JD Quick Attach - Pallet Forks #10  
My 1997 440 loader has the quick connect links. I wonder if converting an old 440 loader without QA only requires a QA bucket or attachments, and the QA brackets and the 3 pins.

Yes, one could convert, IF the parts are available. But welding would still be required since you'd have to add the hooks and pins to the current bucket.
This is where learning how to use JDParts: Unsigned Landing Page is invaluable, or having a patient and friendly parts guy at the dealer to help.