Comparison JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL
How is the turning radius on the two compare?My 2011 X740 turns pretty sharp compared to other garden tractors.If you are mowing a lot around trees than it would be a factor.

The turning radius quoted by JD is identical for each unit (25"). They appear to be the same unit except for the engine and alternator. The diesel engine is considerably larger (45.5 cu in gas vs 60.6 cu in Diesel) with a larger alternator for the diesel (20 ampere gas vs 40 ampere diesel).

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #32  
I will be keeping it in an unheated 2 car attached garage. Even though it is unheated, it seems to stay warmer than the outside. The snow on top of the snow blower melts while it is in the garage.
i don't think the diesel will be a problem then, you just need to keep your fuel treated, and
fresh (using winter blend in winter) and you should be fine.
wanting the unit for 20+ years i'd say go diesel, your fuel savings will make up for
the initial costs, and you will appreciate that extra torque in the wet snows.

i don't think the diesel will be a problem then, you just need to keep your fuel treated, and
wanting the unit for 20+ years i'd say go diesel, your fuel savings will make up for

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject - as I said I have never owned a diesel engine. I assume you mean you use an additive for your diesel. Do you have a recommendation? When you say winter blend I assume what the gas station is selling for diesel cars will be adequate? I go through gas fast enough that I have not needed any additive ( I only keep (2) 5 gallons cans on hand).

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #34  
Diesel doesn't "spoil" in the same way that gaoline does. When we say "treat your diesel", it is mainly for cold weather anti gelling, lubrication for the fuel pump, and cetane boost.
You can't always count on the fuel at the pump, so many people (myself included) use a diesel additive. You put an ounce or 2 in a 5 gal can and call it good. I use the John Deere brand cuz it's easy, I've also used Optilube XPD.

Diesel doesn't "spoil" in the same way that gaoline does. When we say "treat your diesel", it is mainly for cold weather anti gelling, lubrication for the fuel pump, and cetane boost.
You can't always count on the fuel at the pump, so many people (myself included) use a diesel additive. You put an ounce or 2 in a 5 gal can and call it good. I use the John Deere brand cuz it's easy, I've also used Optilube XPD.

Got it.

The Simplicity dealer told me he recommends 89 octane gas and an additive to combat the corrosive effects of ethanol. Assuming a person agrees with his advice, it sounds like are gonna pay for additive either way.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #36  
Got it.

The Simplicity dealer told me he recommends 89 octane gas and an additive to combat the corrosive effects of ethanol. Assuming a person agrees with his advice, it sounds like are gonna pay for additive either way.
Yes your are correct on the additives.I use Marine grade sta-bil in all of my gas engines and Schaffers or stanadyne diesel additives in my diesel engines.

Last edited:
   / JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #37  
Murph - Thanks for the info.

I think I like the Simplicity dealer better even though he is a little farther away (he spent a lot of time with me explaining the features of the machine). I also like the Rear PTO and 3 point hitch included with the Simplicity but not sure if I would actually use them.

I'm leaning towards the Deere mostly because the financing will save me money and also I would prefer EFI over the Carburetor on the Simplicity. It also looks like the Deere is a little easier to add/remove the deck and attachments. Anyone have any feedback on this?

I bought my X730 last summer - have ~ 34hrs on it mostly mowing - I have a 60" rear blade that I have used for moving gravel in the drive and cleared two snows this winter.

As for the auto connect it is nice but needs a rough surface with my two wheel drive to keep from sliding the deck. I have the 3PH for rear blade and it is simple to attach/remove.
I also agonized over the Gas vs Diesel and in the end choose gas due to price, cost of fuel, and all other engines are gas - I have not found a case where I was lacking for power (but I also don't use a plow :laughing:)

In my case the JD dealer is across the road and down ~ 1 mile - last snow storm he saw my drive was not plowed (I had to go in early, so he stopped by and cleared most of my drive whiling showing the wife how to operate the rear blade to remove snow - at least that was her story :confused3:)

No problem starting after sitting for 1 month in garage two weeks ago while temp was 2deg - garage was thermo said 28deg on wall nearest house) - run up and down 1/4mile drive with no issues

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #38  

Do the math, you'll never break even on the fuel savings vs the cost difference at time of purchase until like 30+ years, and that's without accounting for the time value of money. Maintenance costs are probably a wash. As to spark plugs, wires and such on these tractors. My 19+ year old JD425 is on it's 3rd set of plugs. Wires and coils never changed. Except for the design flaw of the plastic cam gear, I've spent $75 on repairs. Other than that, just lubricants and filters. Runs today as good as ever. And the gasser are proven to go 20+ years time and time again for the average home owner. Now you were using this thing commercially, the excessive hours would warrant the diesel.

I live pretty close to south central PA. We got 18" last week that drifted to over 24" in my driveway. My X739 with snow blade pushed it with no problems. The diesel isn't needed; adds nothing for the average home owner. I also own a diesel, and she sits for snow and mowing. The little JD simply is more nimble and capable in my situation: tight spaces, many obstacles.

Sounds like both gas and diesel would be fine for my needs. I'll probably go with the gas just to prevent having to keep both gas and diesel on hand. I have a quote from the closest JD dealer. I am meeting with another area JD dealer on Saturday for a competitive quote.

Many thanks to everyone for the feedback.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #40  
Sounds like both gas and diesel would be fine for my needs. I'll probably go with the gas just to prevent having to keep both gas and diesel on hand. I have a quote from the closest JD dealer. I am meeting with another area JD dealer on Saturday for a competitive quote.

Many thanks to everyone for the feedback.

You made the right choice, Good luck!