JD2240 Utility

/ JD2240 Utility #1  

jorswift

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4300, Ford Jubilee
Hey all,
Looking at a '79 2240 4wd with fel. Tractor is about 3 hours away so I want to be on my toes checking it out. He sent me a video, but that's hard to tell. Said no leaks and everything works as it should. Said spent about 5k replacing some hydraulic lines, clutch, seals, etc. I have a newer jd4300, so know a little but nothing about these monsters. Thanks.

/ JD2240 Utility #2  
We have two older JDs, but don't know anything about the older 20 and 22 series - except they were the Mannheim JDs - powerful & heavy with a closed center hydraulic system and a powershift tranny.

You are probably a better mechanic than most to even be considering it. Maybe someone here knows about them. Consider posting the video.

/ JD2240 Utility #3  
older 20 and 22 series and a powershift tranny.
??????

Utility 40 series had a hi/lo that was optional making them a 16 speed instead of 8. Maybe your thinking of the 40 series rowcrop that had a 8 speed power shift option

/ JD2240 Utility #4  
??????

Utility 40 series had a hi/lo that was optional making them a 16 speed instead of 8. Maybe your thinking of the 40 series rowcrop that had a 8 speed power shift option
Maybe the OP will post the video. Then we can see if this one has the powershift tranny or not.

/ JD2240 Utility
I can post video when I check it out. From everything Ive seen online, i see 2 sets of shifters. So guessing it has hi/low gearing? But wont know for sure until the 28th.

/ JD2240 Utility #6  
I can post video when I check it out. From everything Ive seen online, i see 2 sets of shifters. So guessing it has hi/low gearing? But wont know for sure until the 28th.
Range 1,2 and reverses on left. Cannot change those unless stopped. Gears on left. Gears can be shifted on the move with clutch. If it has the hi/lo it will be a lever left of steering wheel. If it is hi/lo that can be changed with no clutch. That lever could also be a reverser or no lever. Just depends how equipped.

/ JD2240 Utility #7  
Maybe the OP will post the video. Then we can see if this one has the powershift tranny or not.
This is what op will see. Nothing power shifting about it.
image.jpg

/ JD2240 Utility
I don’t see a left lever of the steering wheel in the pics they sent. But will find out tomorrow.

/ JD2240 Utility #9  
I don’t see a left lever of the steering wheel in the pics they sent. But will find out tomorrow.
If no lever it is a 8 speed. Just going to be an open hole or a plug in it.

/ JD2240 Utility
So picked up the tractor yesterday. It does not have the hi/lo on the left side. Looks to have just throttle on right of steering wheel, hi/low/reverse on left and gears on right stick. Anyone happen to know the shifts patterns?