JD2320 transmission range lever engagement stalls engine

/ JD2320 transmission range lever engagement stalls engine #1  

cannyscot

Tractor
John Deere 2320
jd2320 has been idle for a month or so. Starts good, run’s smoothly, but when I try to engage the transmission range lever into either high or low range the engine stalls and quits, Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and/or corrective measures. The range lever will engage the drive, so I’m thinking it may be a malfunction of the electrical interlink which prevents you starting the engine if the tractor is in gear

/ JD2320 transmission range lever engagement stalls engine #2  
More likely something to do with the seat switch. Another of those "Safety Sam" intervention circuits engineers are so proud of.

/ JD2320 transmission range lever engagement stalls engine
But if the seat switch was defective would I have been able to start the engine?

/ JD2320 transmission range lever engagement stalls engine #4  
But if the seat switch was defective would I have been able to start the engine?
Yes, you can start it without being in the seat as long as it is in neutral. I agree with Harry, start looking at the seat safety switch first. Most likley culprit.

/ JD2320 transmission range lever engagement stalls engine #5  
"Modern" tractors, particularly the smaller ones, are basically all the same in this regard. They all share a common "safety" concept . Yet they're all different in how they go about it. They use different style switches, mount them in different places, wire them in slightly different sequences, and of course use different brainbox safety "modules". The problem is the components are mostly junk. Most are prone to fail sooner or later. Knowing which ones fail first or how things go wrong an any particular model is mostly a matter of experience. If you work on enough of them, you start to see patterns, but again, a lot of that stuff changes from year to year so it's not easy to keep up.

/ JD2320 transmission range lever engagement stalls engine
Thank you Harry in Ky and aesanders I appreciate your help. I’ll check that out in the morning

/ JD2320 transmission range lever engagement stalls engine #7  
On my 4410 the seat switch wiring connector between the switch and the wiring harness separated. I had the same issue. The tractor would start but as soon as you tried to move it the engine would quit. Plugging the connectors back together solved the issue along with slightly moving the wires so that it wouldn't happen again.

/ JD2320 transmission range lever engagement stalls engine #9  
You can often jump the safety switch with a short wire. I did this on mine when I jacked the rear wheels in the air to adjust the forward creep out when there was no pressure on the forward pedal.