JD2320 vs. B2320

/ JD2320 vs. B2320 #1  

jtadelbe

I'm new to this and looking to purchase a nice CUT. I have about 3 rolling acres to mow with various landscaping, and snow plowing. I've got my choices down to a John Deere 2320 and Kubota 2320. I plan on starting out with a FEL and 60" MMM and maybe a front blade for snow removal if the loader is too much of a pain. What are the differences between the two that would help me decide.

/ JD2320 vs. B2320 #2  
They look to have about the same horsepower (JD has one more), but the B2320 seems to be available in either a gear or hydro transmission, whereas the JD only has the hydro. Also, the Kubota has a three range transmission whereas the JD only has two. Not sure how the JD2320 guys feel, but on my 2520, I think a three-range transmission would be a nice feature to have.

/ JD2320 vs. B2320 #3  
I recently traded a NH scut w/ 2 ranges in for a Kubota 2620. The B2320 is the same size (frame wise) as the 2620 I have so for the size aspect I can relate. The 2620 has more FEL and 3pt capabilites + the 3 horse more. Not sure about the Deere but as jtadelbe stated the 3 ranges of speed is very nice. As mentioned having using both 2 range tractors and 3 range I would never go back to a 2 range tractor again. On the 2 range you have choices of hi, low. With three you obviusly get the med and as many others will tell you the med. is the one that is used the most, it seems to be the perfect speed for most applications. I would recomend the hst over the gear tractor if you plan on doing a lot of FEL work, grading etc... Good Luck

/ JD2320 vs. B2320 #4  
I've got the JD2305 (same engine as the JD2320) with "only" 2 ranges and I've never really seen is as a limiting factor. Pretty simple - mowing it goes in high and for loader work it goes in low. Deep snow it goes in low. Pretty much anytime I put it in 4wd it goes in low.

Haven't looked at Kubota in 2 years, but I know the "treadle pedal" and the location/logistics of the loader joystick were major turn-offs for me. The Kubota had only 1 center loader cylinder, JD had 2 - one on each side. Fit/finish and overall ergonomics on the JD seemed better to me as well.

I think either would be fine, I preferred the JD. Price and dealer will probably have a part in this too.

Good luck with your decision and ensuing negotiations!

Scott

/ JD2320 vs. B2320 #5  
I've got the JD2305 (same engine as the JD2320) with "only" 2 ranges and I've never really seen is as a limiting factor. Pretty simple - mowing it goes in high and for loader work it goes in low. Deep snow it goes in low. Pretty much anytime I put it in 4wd it goes in low.

Haven't looked at Kubota in 2 years, but I know the "treadle pedal" and the location/logistics of the loader joystick were major turn-offs for me. The Kubota had only 1 center loader cylinder, JD had 2 - one on each side. Fit/finish and overall ergonomics on the JD seemed better to me as well.

I think either would be fine, I preferred the JD. Price and dealer will probably have a part in this too.

Good luck with your decision and ensuing negotiations!

Scott

I agree that all gets done w/ only 2 ranges but have to admit after now having the 3 ranges and using both machines I love the 3 ranges as mentioined IMHO med is the perfect range for a lot of applications especially when moving materiel in the FEL over long distances which is most of the work I have done w/ this new tractor. You mentioned you havent looked at the Kubota in a couple years. The 2320 is a new model this year of 08 and the pedals and loader joystick are no issue. Actually I love the loader stick location which is right close to your hip, so there is no reaching forward for it etc...

One thing I forgot to point out (again not sure about the Deere) but I am 6' 3 1/2 and weigh in the low 200's and the operator platform has plenty of room to spare and there is a high back seat which is actually very comfortable (at least on the 2620) Another point to keep in mind is the JD2305 is a lot smaller than the B2320. The JD is more eqivilant to the Kubota BX series not the B. So think about this for storage, ground clearance, weight etc... As mentioned I am sure you would be in a good position either way.

/ JD2320 vs. B2320 #6  
Right - I was using my 2305 for comparison simply because that is what I have. The JD2320 is on a larger platform that directly compares to the Kubota B2320.

Scott

/ JD2320 vs. B2320 #7  
I had exactly the same choice this spring. I decided to go with the Kubota, even though I have an excellent John Deere dealer just down the road. The deal breaker for me was the three range hydro on the Kubota vs. the two range on the Deere. I have over two acres that I mow, with a large hill. The JD will not mow hills in high gear. Search the site, and you will see several threads on this topic. The JD2305 has the same engine as the JD2320, but is geared differently. As a result, high can be used on the JD2305 when mowing on inclines. Because the JD2320's high gear has a much higher top speed than the JD2305, it is limited in terms of how much power it has to navigate inclines. If I were you, I would test drive the JD2320 on a hill in high to satisfy myself that I could live with this limitation. I couldn't given my circumstances.

The Deere has several excellent features that the Kubota doesn't have. It has position control, standard quick attach loader, better PTO engagement system, plus the split brakes on the left side (some like this, and some don't). The Kubota has a better operating platform (it is much larger and more comfortable than the JD2320), nicer loader stick and controls, better seat, no position control (just the quarter inching valve - which works very well for my purposes), plus the three range hydro. I mow my 20 degree hill in medium range which has a top speed of about 6.5 mph vs. the 4.5 mph of the JD2320 in low. This makes a big difference in terms of time when mowing a large area.

The JD does have a nice system for picking up the drive over mower deck after you've taken if off. I'm not sure why you would need it, since its a drive over deck - presumably, you would remove the deck in the location where you plan on storing it. Kubota's drive over deck is excellent, and is a breeze to put on and take off. I have had some issues with the height adjustment knob on my B2620 - but my dealer is looking into this for me and I'm sure that this issue will be resolved.

The hydraulics on the JD2320 are very slow. You have to move up to the JD2520 in order to match the speed of the B's hydraulics.

If I did not have the hill to mow, I probably would have gone with the JD2320, as the dealer is close to home, and has an excellent reputation. However, I'm very happy with my B2620, which was actually priced less than the JD2320, has loads more power, and is much more comfortable. It all comes down to which machine fits you best - good luck with your decision. Either way, you will have an excellent machine that you will enjoy and should last a very long time.

/ JD2320 vs. B2320 #8  
I have a 2320, and I can't say that I have ever had issues with the 2 speed hydro. It seems you can go a pretty good clip in low. I mow in low, seems you would have to have a pretty smooth of lawn to mow very fast in high. I don't seem to use high very much at all.

As for the hydraulics speed, I can't say that I have noticed it that much. I am not in a production environment and am not trying to squeeze every last bit of speed out of the loader. If I was I would be more worried about self leveling buckets and a much higher dump height.