JD3320 or L3240?

/ JD3320 or L3240? #1  

dmay

Gold Member
Tractor
2010 JD2320
I'm moving onto 6.5 acres late this summer (4 acre horse pasture, 2 acre lawn). I'm seeking 30+hp cab tractor/attachment buying advice. Here is what I want to do:

cut rough grass
cut lawn grass
lift small round bales
pasture/paddock maintenance
general landscaping & grass seeding
blow snow to clear driveway and horse trailer turn-around
keep mosquitoes off me in summer
keep warm in -40 Winnipeg winters

I'm thinking the following two tractors should be sufficient:

JD3320 CAB / 300CX loader
KUBOTA L3240HSTC / LA724 loader

I'm thinking the following attachments:

quick attach bucket
quick attach bale spear
3 pt snow blower w. hydraulic chute rotation and deflector
3 pt rough cut mower
3 pt finish mower
3 pt tiller
3 pt landscape rake
3 pt broadcast spreader

I have multiple JD and Kubota dealers in Winnipeg and surrounding areas. I have seen and driven both on dealers lots. Price is as expected with JD slightly higher. Honestly I could go either way. What did you (or would you) decide and why?

/ JD3320 or L3240? #2  
IMHO, I can see how these machines are compared on paper, but it's difficult in person.

/ JD3320 or L3240? #3  
Both are really good machines; looked at a 3240 a few months ago. My preference and it is purely personal is for the Kubota as I don't like left foot braking. Some do as it allows them to use the brakes and HST in conjunction for really tight turns and such, but this is not a priority for me.

Try them both and see what "fits" you best as either way you will have a really good tractor.

/ JD3320 or L3240? #4  
I suggest you sit on both for a while and try to test drive / work them at the dealer lot. No matter which one you chose you'll have to live with the ergonomics for some time or take a $$$ bath. When I purchased in late 2007 there were, to me, noticeable and preferable differences. We're all different so what I might find important may not matter to someone else.

In addition to the paper specs, check the ease of installing / removing the equipment you plan to use.

/ JD3320 or L3240?
When I purchased in late 2007 there were, to me, noticeable and preferable differences. We're all different so what I might find important may not matter to someone else.

Looking at your signature, you chose the JD. What differences did you notice and prefer?

/ JD3320 or L3240? #6  
Looking at your signature, you chose the JD. What differences did you notice and prefer?

At that time - if I recall correctly - the Kubota models I looked at had the treadle type HST control and the JD was twin pedals and I think there were some seat issues - since solved with the Kub.

My point was not to knock or promote either brand, just to suggest that while paper specs are fine and need to be reviewed, some hands on is also necessary. I used to go to the various stores on Sundays when they were closed and look at / sit on the various machines to see which was a "good fit." I looked at the fit and finish of various makes. On a couple of MF's the clips to hold the side hood panels were broken and parts were rusted and seats starting to come apart on new units not yet sold.

For example some units had the FEL controls mounted on the loader boom - I quickly ruled out any machine with that configuration. I looked at the bucket mount systems, was a QA system available / cost / etc. In my case, my son also has a JD CUT so we can readily share some attachments. That was a factor for me that wouldn't apply to many others.

I read a lot of posts where someone says I really like Brand X or Brand Y, but it's $2K more. Not to suggest that $$$ is irrelevant, but $2K or $3K over a possible 10 - 15 year period is peanuts to get what you really want / need. For me, there is nothing more frustrating than buying something based on price, finding out I really don't like some aspect of the unit and being annoyed every time I put it to use.

A number of factors converged to convince me a JD 3320 was the way to go and I have never for a moment regretted that decision. The machine has done everything I've asked so far and has been great fun. If all the factors had convinced me that Kub was the way to go would I still be as happy? - probably.

Good luck with you decision process - no matter what color you choose.

/ JD3320 or L3240? #8  
Honestly I could go either way. What did you (or would you) decide and why?

The western provinces are millions of acres of green trees and golden grain or alternatively acres of flax. Even your neighboring province SASK has a green / yellow flag. All this should give you some hint which way to go.;)

/ JD3320 or L3240?
The western provinces are millions of acres of green trees and golden grain or alternatively acres of flax. Even your neighboring province SASK has a green / yellow flag. All this should give you some hint which way to go.;)

To funny...

Had some more 'seat' time in both the JD3320 and L3240. I'm starting to favor the JD. Much quieter cab. I seem to find two pedals feels better, especially in reverse and since I'm looking at a 3pt snowblower this will be important. Anyone else find this to be the case?

Overall I think I will focus on JD and start negotiations.

/ JD3320 or L3240? #10  
To funny...

Had some more 'seat' time in both the JD3320 and L3240. I'm starting to favor the JD. Much quieter cab. I seem to find two pedals feels better, especially in reverse and since I'm looking at a 3pt snowblower this will be important. Anyone else find this to be the case?

Overall I think I will focus on JD and start negotiations.

While I prefer the Kubota, own a John Deere too, the JD pedals are easier for me to use when backing up. Things like this rather than quality are what makes one "better" for one person or the other; enjoy your shopping and tractor.

Last edited: