JD4300 -- Catastrophic Failure of the Shift Shaft

/ JD4300 -- Catastrophic Failure of the Shift Shaft #71  
now range shifter shaft replaced and good. High range gear was seized to the bushing it rotates around. Seams maybe the mid pto seal was leaking over the winter and lost 8 liters of hyd fluid. This I assume lead to the siezure when winding the tractor full speed down the road. Enough fluid for normal opn but light under full speed.
My observations to my plight. thanks for your replies. brad

/ JD4300 -- Catastrophic Failure of the Shift Shaft #72  
Sorry about resurrecting this thread but could not find any thread pertaining to this exact same problem with my 2001 JD4400. Is it safe to assume the repair (shaft replacement only) is the same for my 4400?

/ JD4300 -- Catastrophic Failure of the Shift Shaft #73  
That would be a safe assumption. Basically the same tractors but 4400 engine has more HP. Shaft replacement should be the same procedure but don't know if the part numbers would be the same.

/ JD4300 -- Catastrophic Failure of the Shift Shaft #74  
Sounds right. May be able to get at it via cover under seat or then split tractor

/ JD4300 -- Catastrophic Failure of the Shift Shaft #75  
Sounds right. May be able to get at it via cover under seat or then split tractor

Most important thing for owners of any of the 4x00, 4x10 and newer tractors is keep this are well lubricated. When I first read this thread (quite while back when it was first posted), I started spraying the range selector and shift lever (my 4400 is a Sync-Reverser) with Fluid Film. Both levers function quite smoothly and that's the way one needs to keep them.

/ JD4300 -- Catastrophic Failure of the Shift Shaft #76  
May be able to get at it via cover under seat or then split tractor

No tractor splitting necessary. On my 2 4300s, one was split and one was not. Both had new range
shift shafts installed. (Both still working, too.)

Seat, rear fenders, left rear wheel, and 3-point cylinder housing all have to come off.