Insurance JD4600 & trailer

/ JD4600 & trailer #1  

Wirehead

Tractor
John Deere 4600
I am buying a used JD4600 and a new trailer this week; this is my first tractor and it seems I have a new question every week. I'm wondering if I should get theft insurance? I have Progressive for my vehicles but I don't think they do tractors. Any thoughts?

/ JD4600 & trailer #2  
I am buying a used JD4600 and a new trailer this week; this is my first tractor and it seems I have a new question every week. I'm wondering if I should get theft insurance? I have Progressive for my vehicles but I don't think they do tractors. Any thoughts?

I think we need a bit more information. I'll list some of the questions that come to mind:

1) Do you plan to use the tractor commercially (work it for pay)?

2) Do you plan to drive the tractor on the road, going from job to job?

3) If no to the above, are you planning to use it on anyone else's property?

4) Will you owe money on the tractor?

5) Will anyone else be operating your tractor? Will they be employees?

In my own case, my answer to all of the above questions is "No." I have paid my money, and now I am taking my chances. I have not purchased tractor insurance. If your answer to some of the above is "Yes," you may want to think about how much risk you want to take vs. the cost of insurance.

If you do some searching on TBN, you will find several threads with good discussion and information on insurance.

Enjoy your new tractor! I like my JD 4600.:thumbsup:

/ JD4600 & trailer
Thanks for the info, those questions are all no for me as well. My first response was not to buy insurance against theft. I grew up in the construction business and we left our equipment parked at the jobsite often, with few problems. Just ansy over laying out this kind of money. I'll search the site for thoughts as well. Nice tractor by the way.

/ JD4600 & trailer #4  
Here is the way my insurance works. I have Shelter Insurance so yours may vary.

At my home, theft, fire, building falling on it, ect my home owners covers it.

Behind my truck on the trailer if it falls off and kills a bunch of nuns my trucks covers there expenses but my tractor is not covered. Behind my truck and someone wrecks into me and the tractor is damaged the person at fault covers my tractor, truck, and trailer or if uninsured my insurance jumps in.

If I take my tractor to my sisters house to do some work and say its stolen then its a total loss. (I would never leave it there or if I did it would be secured in the garage).

Long story short its covered most of the time. Theft off my property is not covered or if it falls off the trailer due to me doing a piss poor job securing its not covered. I see both of these as something that will never happen. I looked into tractor insurance and it was ridiculous. 8 years of paying premiums would buy me a new tractors so I take my chances. My tractor is now 9 years old and no issues so I guess I could go out and buy a new one and be even or better.

Chris