JD790 loader

/ JD790 loader #1  

John Weaver

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 JD 790
I have been considering buying a loader for my JD790. Can I drive into a pile of gravel or dirt and get a full bucket? Is it built sturdy, or do I need to be concerned with bending something? What is break out force? Anyone near middle Georgia willing to let me see some projects you have done with your loader? Guess I have lots of questions, but I know there is lots of experiance out there. John.

/ JD790 loader #2  
John,
I have a 410 loader, and it may bend a little but I don't think it would do any damage, it would bend back. I drove into 1,000 of rock piles with mine and still going. Cliff

18-73839-PLOWER.jpg

I'm moving up to a 5205!

/ JD790 loader #3  
I have a JD 790 with the 70 loader with 54" bucket and removal tooth bar. I have spent over 100 hours moving a hill from one side of the drive to the other (still have more to move), the hill is Virginia clay that hasn't been distrubed for years, the tractor and loader has preformed flawlessly, with no apparent bending of the loader arms, but I have bent the top of the bucket knocking down trees. If you are going to be digging in the dirt the tooth bar makes a BIG difference, like cutting butter with a hot knife, for moving gravel, its not really needed. One thing that you will need is weight on the rear, up until last month I used a 490# box blade, now I have loaded rear tires (around 560#) and with the box blade still attached, it digs even better. I would highly recommend the loader. Hope this helps.

/ JD790 loader #4  
I have a 60" 410 with a toothbar for my 4100. I use a concrete filled JD Ballast box (about 500 lbs). I have moved gravel, road millings, and leveled out a small area for equipment storage. It has done very well. No complaints.

Terry

/ JD790 loader
Thanks for the replys. Sounds like a # 70 loader may be the next purchase. Could someone explain what a tooth bar looks like, how it attaches and if it is an option from JD or do I get one somewhere else, or build it? John.

/ JD790 loader #6  
John,
A tooth bar goes along the edge of the bucket, and it has teeth like on a backhoe bucket. I'm pretty sure you can get one from Deere, but someone else probably has a picture of one to show you what it is like.

18-73839-PLOWER.jpg

I'm moving up to a 5205!

/ JD790 loader
I went to JD dealer (lots of stuff to look at). He priced a # 70 loader with brackets, hood guard and bucket level indicator for $2600. installed. He only has 48 inch bucket. Should I get him to order the 54 inch bucket? Your thoughts? John

/ JD790 loader #9  
John, I have used my 70 loader on my 790 for almost a year.
So far it has doen everything I have asked it to do and not a single problem. I use mine for just about everything from clearing snow, cleaning the barn to digging holes and landscaping. I did get the 60" bucket to cover the tire tracks and use my back blade for ballast. Rick

/ JD790 loader #10  
John,

Go to this previous post where to get a toothbar.

I purchased one a couple of months ago and it cost me $325 for the unit, custom cutting, and shipping. This JD dealer was very helpful and prompt. I had the unit with two weeks after placing the order.

Good luck - Terry