Oil & Fuel JDeere 4300 fuel gauge

/ JDeere 4300 fuel gauge #1  

wrede

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 J. Deere 4300
My JDeere 4300 compact utility tractor's fuel gauge went bonkers today. I noticed upon starting that the fuel gauge was flipping around, and after a few minutes it settled down with the needle probably 180 degrees from a correct reading, that is pointing down way past the full mark. Turning off the start switch, the needle is pointing to the right, seemingly 180 degrees from empty. A few years ago the needle somehow got stuck below the empty peg, and I took the dash apart to move it back, and it's been fine until today. Is this a defective gauge or something else?

/ JDeere 4300 fuel gauge #2  
I can't help, my 5303 dosen't work right either, checked all wiring & even the float, thankfully, i know how much mowing i can get done before re-fueling.
Hopefully someone can help.

Ronnie

/ JDeere 4300 fuel gauge
Thanks Ronnie. I haven't looked at the wiring or float yet. Ran it all day yesterday, and the needle is settled down somewhere around 180 degrees from correct. I'm wondering if that wild flipping around moved the needle on its shaft, and therefore could turned back, but why the wild flipping, perhaps a loose wire? For the moment I'm checking the fuel level the old fashioned way. Looking down into the tank!