Jib Boom Question

/ Jib Boom Question #11  
When I built my shop and put 36ft long trusses up I rented a telehandler (Lull) forklift. Made putting the trusses up easy and safe. When it came time to lift the shingles up onto the roof I didn't strain my back, I let the machine do the lifting. It cost me about $1,000 for a week but it was well worth it in time saved and safety.

/ Jib Boom Question #12  
I worked for a contractor for years. I remember setting 30'. 12-12 trusses with a telahandler and having a rear wheel coming off of the ground on a few of them. I would not use a tractor unless I was inside the building and setting them straight up, and I would have a pretty good size tractor then.

/ Jib Boom Question #13  
this is what I built from 6x6 on 6 foot wide trailer axle with a 12 foot tounge

I have 16 foot boom on it and need to go almost almost vertical to reach a 1 story 13 foot wide shed. The down side is it is slow as every thing is raise with a hoist , wrench or by hand.

If I made a longer boom to go higher you will need to put on a wider base. The other problem is having the proper counterbalance to lift the load . a 13 foot 12x12 log will make the wheels of a garden tractor come off of the ground I have 200lbx of weigh on the tractor plus me @ 200 lbs

IMGA0330.JPG

This stump is all I can lift with a 2 ton chain hoist and all the tractor can move with out loosing traction.

With a extension on the loader you will be in danger of having the back wheels coming off of the ground and tipping over even with a light load. This due to the load being so far out from of the front wheels.

The formulas for a lever is weight x distance = load on each side of the piviot point . so the farther the load is from the pivot point ( your front wheels ) the less you can lift. If your center of weight sway past you center of gravity the tractor can tip over . This could happen with a light breeze

IMGA0313.JPG