Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp #1  

goatman

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 30
I have a choice of the 2 tractors both new. 1 is loacal with repairs available the other another and maybe local support.. both with FEL Farmpro with KOTKER the Jinma with china made loader same price for both.. any advise as to which to choose /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif .. I am open for suggestions as I have never owned a tractor from china.before.. The dealer with the Farmpro showed me head gaskets from bothe the 25 and 30 and BIG diff.. he suggest if put on dyno the 30 is probably closer to 35hp.. any thought?? thanks in advance . /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp #2  
The FarmPro is a rebadged Jinma. They basically start out as the same tractor on the Chinese assembly line. They share the same Y395 engine as well. Those engines that test "stronger" are then processed out the 35 HP door. The rest get sold as 30 hp jobs.

They weigh the same too, so the 354 is going to have horsepower to weight advantage. Service after sale being equal, take the deal that offers the most horsepower for the dollar.

//greg//

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp #3  
Take a look at the engine in both. If it is the same, the 354 probably only has larger wheels over the 304. Many of the 304s and 354s have the 395 engine. That engine can provide different hp/rpm ranges, similair to the 385, found on the 254/284 models. In terms of real work performed, most likely you would not know the difference between them. From a pure cost perspective a 354 would be about $500-$1000 more than 304.

The Koyker FEL is generally considered a better one than the chinese. If you plan allot of FEL work, then you might want to lean toward that. It will be much easier to get any parts for the Koyker. For comparisons, it is probably worth around $500-$1000 over ZL30.

From a dollar standpoint they are about equal. You will have to judge between size of wheels and FEL, if that sways you one way or another. ie you absolutly need one or the other. A good respectable local dealer for whichever one, is probably the better choice over the differences in machines. That can have much more importance, especially if there are any warrantee issues.

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Those engines that test "stronger" are then processed out the 35 HP door. The rest get sold as 30 hp jobs.)</font>

Greg, There has been many a discussion on differences of hp on a given engine model. I've seen this one posted in a few places, but from talking (email) with my china contact, do not have much faith that it is what actually happens. The engines are built at another factory and boxed and sent to the tractor factory. As far as I know, they are not put on any dyno and tested, prior to tractor assembly. Most engines are started after tractor assembly, but doubt that they are "power" tested at that point.

Out of the different theories I've heard, if there is an actual hp difference, it is most likely a different timing/injector pump adjustment difference. From my direct experience with a 254 and now owning a 284, I can not tell the slightest difference in real world performance. But, I also don't have any job that requires running the tractor at max rpm, where if there was a diffence, probably be where it would show up. The engine book that came with mine, shows multiple different hp/torque curves. I have heard that is the same with the 395, also. If I remember correctly, almost 40hp can be had from this engine. Now on the other hand, most buyers will think there is a major difference between tractor hp ratings, and not think about at what rpm range and if they can actually use that hp.

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp #5  
Don't think it's anything as sophisticated as a dyno either John. The way it was explained to me, it's a static test based pretty much what kind of RPMs they get when tweaking the injection pump once the engine's in the tractor.

The QC guy at the Budweiser plant goes by his taste buds, the HP guy at the tractor plant goes by his ear.

//greg//

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp #6  
Greg, if true, it still lends itself to having the extra power at max rpms. Only a bene if you have an job to run it that high.

As Zhang mentioned, there are 4 cyl engines available in the size series, so the buyer needs to make sure they are the same engine. I don't know if the 4cyl are better or worse than the 395, maybe just smother running. I think they might come form the same engine factory as Y385, used in 254/284. My engine book does indicate a 4cyl model. Also, be careful, the way china numbers engines (num cyl)(bore size), you could have two different engine with the same number. The 395 is more popular, used in the dozer, and probably has better stateside parts support, at this time.

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp
Seem to drift away from my question.. If you have to pick 1 of the 2 same price is there any advantage of 1 over the other??? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp #8  
farm pro is usually built to a little cheaper specs, but basically they are the same tractor. a 284 jinma is gonna do everything and more that a 30 hp is gonna do. i've had 2 of the 30's, and a lot of trouble out of both. we sell the jinma 'LE' versions only, which farm pro is not even close in comparison to a LE. as far as loader, again, there ain't no way i'd consider a chinese loader after owning selling koykers. we've sold both, and for the price difference, koyker is way out front. dealer support/ parts/ the big word--HELP when needed is what you need to consider. farm pro, from what i've read, seen, and heard, is not a real great, quick, efficient supplier of parts or repairs. they are trying to be 'price-leaders', and are selling tractors for sure, but then again---anybody can sell 'em, it's who takes care of the customers that will survive.

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp #9  
after reading your first post, i don't know what the salesperson showed you as far as a head gasket, but they are the same. unless, as mentioned, the 30 has the 4-cylinder motor, which, let me warn ya' up front---keep a tool box handy.
no such thing as 'tweaking' or 'dyno'---it's whatever the stamp on the motor says when it hits the tractor, vs. the rpm and timing setting. as john said, not an ounce of difference in the 25 and the 28 that anybody will notice. not a bit of difference in the 30/35 that i could tell. for the size, the 284 is by far the most popular and easiest to get around, and will do everything ya' ask of it (within reason)

/ Jima 354 vs Farmpro 30hp #10  
Hi /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a Jinma 354 and have had only minor leaks and adjustments in the almost 2 years and 200 hours i've owned it. It has the TY395i engine. I was wondering what problems usedcarz had with his 30hp tractors? I
To answer goatman i'm with usedcarz and pick the Farmpro with the Koyker loader all else being eager. The difference in hp rating will never be missed. Check and make sure it has a differential lock and glowplugs both of which mine lack because of it being an older model. Never have missed the glow plugs even in below 0 weather. The TY395 fires up as easy as any gasoline motor.