Jinma 224 electrical problems....voltage regulator?

/ Jinma 224 electrical problems....voltage regulator? #1  

TSMART

Silver Member
Tractor
jinma jm 224
The problem is: Tractor starts with authority. MPA gage goes pegged to red. Battery light is on. Run the tractor for 10-20 minutes, then MPA gage backs off a bit, but still high. Battery light goes out. Re-lights when below like 1000 RPM. (around idle) Also, the time clock keeps much more rapid time than it should, one (true) hour running shows about 7 hours on the gage.

Voltage regulator? Bad alternator? Issue has been going on for months, but battery starts the tractor like brand new. Hot climate.

I just want to make sure I dont have a fire hazard here. (battery blow up??)

/ Jinma 224 electrical problems....voltage regulator? #2  
Well the amp gauge only tells you how much current is going to/from the battery. It sounds like the alternator may be overcharging. Do you have access to a volt meter to see exactly what the voltage at the battery is doing thru all this...

/ Jinma 224 electrical problems....voltage regulator? #3  
As the voltage regulators are cheap (around $20 or so), I would go ahead and replace the regulator. I had similar symptoms when my regulator failed - it was intermittent as well, making it more challenging to diagnose. All it was was the regulator going. The replacement one had thinner prongs that go into the mounting block. The old regulator showed signs of sparking on the prongs too. To try and alleviate the problem I tried bending the sockets inside the mounting base to make them a better fit. I also used some metallic paste (never seize) to reduce any sparking. It seems to have worked as the replacement regulator is five years old and still working fine. I think mine charges at around 14 - 14.5 volts.

/ Jinma 224 electrical problems....voltage regulator? #4  
Proper voltage is 14.5V +/- 0.5V. What I should ahve mentioned before is the problem with overvoltage is that it cooks off the water in the battery. What can happen is once the electrolyte level drops below the top of the plates, and you draw a lot of current out of the battery, like when starting, an arc across the top of the plates can occur which can ignite hydrogen gas in the cells causing the battery to explode...

So I would check the electrolyte level before you try and start it again...

Also if you swap the regulator, I would reccomend runnign a zip-tie around it to hold it in place. they have been known to come loose and fall out...