Jinma 304 Running Cool?

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #1  

Mike1

My new Jinma 304 seems to run cool under all conditions. Last week the temperature here was 60 plus degrees while I was moving gravel, the temp gauge never went above 50 degrees. Anybody else have experience with this? The tractor seems to run fine, plenty of power, exhaust gas looks normal, etc.

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #2  
Unless your tractor is different than mine, the guage reads in centigrade. Mine does run about 80 though.

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #3  
Several folks have reported discovering their new Jinmas came without a thermostat. Has to be an assembly oversight - like the "Monday cars" of old - as diesels are generally designed to operate most efficiently at 80C. In the winter, it definitely takes a thermostat to get them to run anywhere near that temp. I had to add a hose to my filter housing, to suck warm air in from over the exhaust manifold.

//greg//

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #4  
mine really has to be working to get the temp much above 80, usually it is cooler running too even when it is warm out. in winter it rearely gets over 75 or so. (centegrade 75 + about 167 F) cooler, but I have never PULLED the thermostat to SEE but it seems to run fine. anyhow it is possable it is mia but you have to pul the hose to see...

Markm

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #5  
If you eliminate the thermostat as being the problem, another
consideration is to check if the engine temperature is being accurately displayed on the temp gauge. Temperature sensors do fail and can fail to track the engine temperature as they should.

If you test actual engine temperature at the top radiator and compare it to the gauge, you should get a better idea of what is going on.

The sensor is just a variable resistor that changes value with a change in temperature. When I received my tractor new, the gauge never deviated more than 2 degrees from 40 degrees ambient to full operating temp. It was the sensor, which is cheap and easy to replace. Here's how I tested it.

I measured the sensor resistance when cold (terminal to sensor case). Also measure sensor to block resistance, it should be near zero.
With the engine cold, I put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator, removed the radiator cap, started the engine and warmed it up. I then placed a thermometer into the coolant and once the engine was about 170 to 180 degrees, I measured the sensor again. Sure enough it only deviated an ohm or so. My temp gauge was showing the engine was still cold.

In your case, measuring the top radiator temp and comparing it to the temp gauge display, should give you a good idea of what's going on in the cooling system.

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #6  
Have had my 2425 since mid-summer and never could get it to run much over 40 C even in the summer. Due to some of the recomendations I have seen on the board, I put a new $5 thermostat in last weekend and now she runs 60-80 all the time even when it's close to zero around here.

Just an observation: The old thermostat seemed a little "cheap". Just holding them in your hand the new one was a lot heavier and just seemed to be better quality than the original that was in there.

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #7  
I had the same trouble. I went and removed the jima thermostat that opened at 125 and modified the thermostat housing to fit a car thermostat that opens at 160. the only time I get warm is to block off the radiator half way with cardboard or in summer when I use the back hoe. guess they run cool. oh yea I did put in a better temp gauge as well.

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #8  
My 304 also runs cool. I haven't checked if there is a thermostat in there yet (will do that soon). Do use a bit of cardboard to block off the radiator still doesn't get much over 40 C. And the radiator is just warm. Still new to tractors and diesels so I'm learning as well.

Alpha, what kind of mods did you do on yours to accapt a US thermostat? What was the thermostat you used?

Thanks,
HankC /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #9  
My 204 also runs on the cool side for a diesel. It warms right up to 140 F in minutes, but seldom have I seen it go above 165 F. I attribute that to the 165 F thermostat that Nortrac installed. I guess that's okay, but the manuals do mention 185 F t-stats.

/ Jinma 304 Running Cool? #10  
Re: Jinma 304 Running Cool? *DELETED*

Post deleted by alpha