Yanmar YMG2000 used, or a new Jinma 254, both about the
same money. Any advise?

Thanks in advance

/ jinma or yanmar? #2  
<font color="blue">I am about to buy a tractor, it's now a toss up between a
Yanmar YMG2000 used, or a new Jinma 254, both about the
same money. </font>

Hey BWP50,

I really don't know too much about the YanMars, but I have heard people talk good about them.

How much HP does the YMG2000 have as stated on the Engine Plate? And is the YanMar 4WD?

When I was looking for my tractor about a year ago, I also looked at the used Yanmars. I came to the conclusion that if I couldn't save a ton of money on a used Tractor, that it was best for me to purchase a new one, so that at least, I would know what the tractor had gone through from the get go. Lot's of times, people come out really good on a used tractor, but there are also the ones that have gotten bitten, also.

Whatever you do, make sure that you get 4wd, power steering, canopy, & Spring Seat. You may not think that you will need the 4WD, but I sure am glad that Mine is. I was box bladeing in some really soft muddy areas, and a 2 wd drive, would have just gotten buried. It was so soft that when I was walking over the same area that the tractor had been,, my feet sank down about 6 inches It is truly amazing how much better a 4wd is over a 2wd.

Good Luck in which ever you choose,
Have a nice day,
Joe

/ jinma or yanmar? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am about to buy a tractor, it's now a toss up between aYanmar YMG2000 used, or a new Jinma 254, both about the same money. Any advise? )</font>

Please clarify the Yanmar model, as I've never heard of a YMG2000. There's a 1800 pound YM2000; 2wd, 24 engine hp, 20 PTO hp, no power steering, no ROPS. The YM2000D is the same machine in 4wd. They're both gray market equivalents of the Made-for-USA YM240/240D, which hasn't been manufactured since the late 70s.

I had a YM240/YQM60 combination - and a 2800 pound JM254 at the same time for a while. I loved the bulletproof little Yanmar, but it took a lot of work - and a lot of parts - to get it that way (after purchase). I bought it for $3600 and sold it for $4500, and got about 3 years of work out of it in the process. But after parts and (my) labor to get it up to spec, I likely didn't do any better than break even.

And being gray market, YM2000 parts are even harder to find than YM240 - often you'll end up putting recycled parts on your Yanmar. With no 4wd, no power steering, more weight, and no ROPS, the Yanmar simply couldn't go places and do things that the Jinma could. The Jinma came with a warranty, and parts are much simpler to come by than for the 35 year old Yanmar.

Getting good service-after-sale on a Jinma can be challenging, use that as a basis for selection also. But be advised, any service-after-sale on gray market Yanmars is nearly non-existant. Yanmar (USA) and the few remaining Yanmar dealers generally refuse to sell parts for grey market machines.

Finally, (new) JM254s generally go in the vicinity of $6k and up. If you're looking at a Yanmar in that price range - keep looking.

//greg//

/ jinma or yanmar? #4  
I have to agree with Greg on this one! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ( was bound to happen at some point... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ).

If you are looking for a scut/cut, and need japaneese.. yanmar is the way to go. The 3 digit models are the 'best' as they still have some support network, The 4 digit models are grey market as Greg points out. That means you are reduced to used parts, or a decent amount of crossover parts that fit both models, or a very few parts that may fit a similar sized/powered scut John deer/marine application. I hear that 4wd parts are hard to come by on some of the smaller units.

4wd is nice on a small tractor or a tractor with a loader.. power steering is nice on a loader tractor.. rops are great whenever you find a tractor that has them.

I've not owned a jinma (YET), but have tinkered with yanmar. At this point.. I think I'd rather spend 3900$ and get one of those 20hp economy 'special's' then get a 30 year old yanmar for similar price and HP. At very least you get rops, and it will at least have parts support.. evenif you have to do the wrench turning yourself.. etc.

I'm not downing yanmar in any way. They made a superior tractor.. tough little boogers... Ironically.. their fit and finish on the 30 year old ones are still better thansome of the brand new jinmas I see at independent dealers and tool shows.

Soundguy

/ jinma or yanmar?
It is a 4x4 24 hp Yanmar
with a 48" fel and a box scraper price 7950
the jinma 254 has a 60" fel and box scaper price is 8000

/ jinma or yanmar? #6  
Unless the Yanmar has very low hours and is in mint condition, I'd say the price is at least $1000 too high. I assume it's a Chinese loader on the Jinma? $8K would be a pretty good deal, if it includes some type of warranty.

/ jinma or yanmar? #7  
Yanmar or jinma make sure to get shuttle shift & power steering, Works real nice with fel . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ jinma or yanmar? #8  
1 thing you might take into consideration is what are the capabilities of BOTH machines. What are you going to be doing with them that will tip the scale towards one or the other. Price is 1 thing, but how many bells and whistles are availible for each one.

/ jinma or yanmar? #9  
I think what ur talking about is a ym2000d. Nice little tractors but with standard shift trans. Parts really are not much of a problem now. I can not speak for the future but not now. The yanmars are better tractors but they are 30 yrs old. The best thing about yanmars in my opinion is you can get one with a Powershift trans but your model does not have it. The shuttle shift option on some Jinmas is not the same. I would go for the Jinma if my choices were limited to the two tractors you are refering to......Jinmas are built well enough and do alot of good work.....

/ jinma or yanmar? #10  
Actually there is such a thing as a YMG2000. They are built more like the YM2001 or 2002 models. Attached is a YMG2000D. They also have a 3 cylinder engine instead of the 2 that is in the regular 2000.

Attachments

• 633484-YMG2000D.jpeg
    633484-YMG2000D.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 763