Jobs Market isChanging

/ Jobs Market isChanging #131  
Think about what you just said.

The U.S. has added hundreds of thousands of jobs each month for the past 22 months because no one wants to work?
It's in how it's measured. Look at the calculations. There's a reason one party looks at the jobs and another party looks at unemployment.

ETA both manipulate the data to make it look like their policies increase the total number of jobs or economic strength and while both are measures they are not stand alone measures of economic strength and can go in opposite directions at the same time due to how they are calculated but both align with party policies so look at the trends over the last 30 years for your chosen metric and chances are it will mirror the party in power.

/ Jobs Market isChanging #132  
This pretty much explains the reasons there's 10 million job openings and only 6 million unemployed.

The top three reasons people who could be working but aren't are increased savings, early retirements, and lack of access to child care.

/ Jobs Market isChanging #133  
it's also why employers are hiring the older crowd, because they still posses a good work ethic. Like me, my Kubota dealer asked me if I would work part time for them and I complied. The owner can count on me to be there when he needs me and I don't have the hair crossways issue either.

Good example of the employee revolving door is the outfit I retired from. Their Butler, Indiana plant cannot keep employees. They pay well, have an excellent benefit package but the employees have to actually do manual labor and they come in, apply and get hired (if they can pass the drug screen which eliminates a lot of them) and then they work a couple days and never come back because they actually have to work and not play games on their cell phones or text friends. It's so bad there they cannot even fully staff a 3rd shift.

I know exactly what the issue is, the plant manager is a good friend of mine. I get to hear about it all the time.

There may be a lot of positions created but filling them is the issuer because a good work ethic is a rare commodity today.

/ Jobs Market isChanging #134  
This pretty much explains the reasons there's 10 million job openings and only 6 million unemployed.

The top three reasons people who could be working but aren't are increased savings, early retirements, and lack of access to child care.

I find it funny that they reference unemployment benefits as a primary way saving expanded 4 trillion dollars, I don't think that's how it works :ROFLMAO:

/ Jobs Market isChanging #135  
I'll say it again. The labor shortage caused by a receding work ethic started with professional sports paying 6 figures, then millions. Kids saw ordinary people play ball for multi million dollar pay. Then they watched entrepreneurs and influencers on you tube getting rich fast doing fun stuff. It's no wonder they shied away from physical labor as a way to support themselves. Stock market champions and more get rich quick options...
Who do you think is going to fill these labor jobs? Certainly not young middle class america.
AI better advance fast to fill the labor shortage.

/ Jobs Market isChanging #136  
Ohh the dreams of youth, how they beget the regrets of maturity.

A rather large number of those people who during the covid pandemic thought they could move to some beautiful remote location and work from home and made the howling mistake of buying (or worse Building) a home - - well they are facing a terror.

Companies are realizing that if those jobs can be fulfilled by a remote employee then they can be filled even better by an outsourced overseas contractor in India at an enormously reduced cost.

Ohhhh, Baby, hard times are coming.

View attachment 762633
This is nothing new. I was in a refinery in Los Angeles working on commissioning the controls of a sulfur recovery unit. I was 10 pages deep in writing a layout for the site acceptance test when the software crashed.

I work for the company that's responsible for the software and they're based out of Los Angeles, so I called customer support who I knew personally, and joked with him that this shouldn't happen to someone that can walk into their office and meet them at their desk.

He laughed and said if I wanted to confront the person responsible for writing that software I was going to need a ticket to India.

We figured the company probably paid a million to someone in India, who contracted it out to Pakistan for a hundred thousand, who sent it to Thailand for a thousand, and it finally was written by a college student in Viet Nam for beer and pizza money.

/ Jobs Market isChanging #137  
I'll say it again. The labor shortage caused by a receding work ethic started with professional sports paying 6 figures, then millions. Kids saw ordinary people play ball for multi million dollar pay. Then they watched entrepreneurs and influencers on you tube getting rich fast doing fun stuff. It's no wonder they shied away from physical labor as a way to support themselves. Stock market champions and more get rich quick options...
Who do you think is going to fill these labor jobs? Certainly not young middle class america.
The labor shortage is primarily caused by demographics. A lot of us are baby boomers who started careers as a young adult when getting hired was highly competitive due to a large population of people that age. Most boomers are now retired and young people today have their pick of jobs because there are so many vacancies from retired boomers and a smaller population of people. I see this in my field today. When I graduated from college, jobs were difficult to find. Last month I helped at a hiring event and heard from many recent graduates that they had multiple offers to consider.

Last edited:
   / Jobs Market isChanging #138  
AI better advance fast to fill the labor shortage
A good amount of those jobs cannot be done with automation at all. Manual labor and skilled labor will always be in the mix because a robot welder or whatever cannot fix themselves when they break down and many manual positions are feeding those robots with materials. AI may streamline production and be cost effective but it will never replace the manual and skilled labor side. Kind of like electric cars in a way. People tend to forget exactly where the juice they recharge them with, comes from. IMO, they will never become maintream just because of the electrical generation issue bit that isn't on this thread.

Bottom line is, if you desire to buy goods and services today, you'd better have a real job that pays a living wage. Food stamps and welfare only go so far and certainly won't buy you a new vehicle or a new home or a new computer either. Besides, the welfare state is eating up the central government and causing the debt to tax ratio to become unmanageable.

/ Jobs Market isChanging #140  
One of the reasons I don't watch pro sports anymore.