jobs?

/ jobs? #11  
Okay, so I'm not perfect either. As an employer I don't expect perfection. I do expect effort. I did not see any effort in that sentence.

My point is, if he is going to use social media as a job seeking tool, more effort needs to be made, and employers do notice things like spelling and capitalization. I wasn't able to get past that to ask the questions about his skill set, or what he is looking for.

I had this same thing happen with the young son of one of my oldest friends. He gets an entry job pitching electric utility promotions, and sends me a text which was fifty percent acronyms which I didn't understand. (LOL...)
The problem is that he totally turned me off with his first attempt. I wrote him, told him what he was doing wrong, how to be more successful and the next letter I got was understandable. All good, even if I had to embarrass
him a little, all for his own good. He has some learning disabilities, but is plenty smart enough to know where the spell/grammar checker is.

So brain55, you're absolutely right. And once you put "crap" out there, it doesn't go away even if you "clean up your act". If you posted junk previously, Google is ruthless finding it.

/ jobs? #12  
Learn a trade... Be employed

/ jobs? #13  
I make mistakes and expect others to make mistakes. As a rule I seek the message they have to offer and have come to accept brake/break, meet/meat, they're/their/there, etc without blinking. The Brit kid did make an unusually poor first impression, but I've hired some people with the worst grammar, spelling and penmanship and they've turned out to be excellent workers as tradesmen (tradespeople?). I had one foreman turn in material requisitions that I occasionally needed to rewrite before forwarding them to our purchasing department. He always made money for us, always completed the job regardless of obstacles and the customers loved him.

It's a real shame that a first impression is the one thing that can ruin someone's shot at being very successful.

/ jobs? #14  
Chim, nicely said. Being stupid and being ignorant of course are very different. We're all ignorant according to someone else. But hopefully most of us aren't stupid.
Look under the hood and find the heart.

/ jobs? #15  
**** y'all hard on the boy. My granddaddy had a sixth grade education but he could take a square and figure out the amount of board feet in building a house. Almost all the old houses in the town I live in was built by him. He just didnt frame the house, he did the plumbing, electrical , cabinets and the masonry work. He also farmed around 200-300 acres and grew some of the best crops in the county. All these college graduates are looking for a job in their field while the boys who are willing to work with their hands are doing just fine and they have not wasted Mama and Daddy's $100000 to go to college. People that work with their hands is a dying art. I applaud the young man doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ jobs? #16  
hello please hellp im 19 and looking for a job dose anyone no any jobs in the uk?

Stick a log splitter on that 590 and buy a chainsaw and tipping trailer and make your own job . It's how i got started :)

/ jobs? #17  
Wow, sounds like a knitting circle telling a young lady how to improve her prospects!

/ jobs?
hello thank you for all geting back to me and im sorry for my spelling but im dislexic and find it hard to spell and wright hents y i like driving tactors and iv been doin odd jobs for people but looking to get in to farming fall time i haveint been to college to lern farming but iv picked things up on the way the onley thing i haveint done is plowing and seeding agen sorry about the spelling

/ jobs? #19  
Andrew, glad to hear back from you. Ok, you have a typing problem...so what you have learned here is that if you are doing more than just chatting here about tractors, where we really don't care how
you spell, if you are interested in a job, maybe have someone check your work before you send it out. And you aren't using spellchecking, which underlines any questionable word in red. If half your sentences are all red, well... maybe
you'd better have some help. This is a written media, we can't talk on the phone with you, so what you write is what people see. Luckily you've got a nice bunch of folk here who will try to help you with suggestions.

If you like tractors, well, some form of farming or landscaping might be a good place to start. A lot of kids don't want to "stay home on the farm" anymore, so you might find some local farms needing help. It probably won't be driving a new
200hp John Deere though.

/ jobs? #20  
Wow, sounds like a knitting circle telling a young lady how to improve her prospects!

Geez Tom, you know how to knit too? The Renaissance man comes out again...:D

Actually I think PapaPerk's comment was right on. But too many kids think their first job should make them six figures in three years.
Doesn't usually work that way for sure.