john deer 4100

/ john deer 4100 #1  

msmorto

Tractor
john deer 4100
I was running the tractor this morning for about 45 min. turn it off and went in the house for coffee, 20 min later I went to start it up and
nothing happen, I ear a click coming from the key side and also at the thermostat, I took the starter off and had it check by auto zone, and everything
is OK. I don't have any idea of what to do next ? Thank you for any suggestions.
Mario

/ john deer 4100 #2  
Does it try to start then go dead or what?

/ john deer 4100 #3  
It sounds like a safety switch issue. If it has a hydro transmission make sure the pedals are centered. If you have not already done this check all the fuses.

If that is not the answer do a title search on this site as you may find someone else with the same problem.

If you do not have the operators manual, you can find an online copy at this JD site.

John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment Search

/ john deer 4100 #4  
Sorry posted on wrong forum.

/ john deer 4100 #5  
Hi and welcome to TBN!! I have moved your thread to the John Deere forum for you to gather as much info as possible. Best of luck!!:thumbsup:

/ john deer 4100 #6  
Shoot me your email, Inhave a PDFS of the Deere Trech manual you're more than welcome to.
Plenty of troubleshooting info in it

Joe

/ john deer 4100 #7  
Have you load tested the battery?

/ john deer 4100
Shoot me your email, Inhave a PDFS of the Deere Trech manual you're more than welcome to.
Plenty of troubleshooting info in it

Joe

Hi Joe
Couples of days ago I was using my 4100 John Deer tractor with no problem,
when I stop turn it off went in the house for about 10 min. came back to restart nothing happen.

When I try to start it, makes a click noise, and make a chatter noise at the ignition, and stop and nothing.
then I try again with the same result.?
I have done just about everything that I know,

What I have done.

1. Battery OK
2. All fuses OK
3. Check as many connections as I could see OK
4. all fluid OK
5. Remove the starter and had it check out by Auto Zone OK
6. Seat switch OK
7. All light on dash OK
8. ALL gear in neutral

What do I do Next ?
Thank you
Mario

/ john deer 4100 #9  
I suggest that you send Joe a private message and ask him to send you the manual. Then post the starting system wiring and the all over wiring for the tractor. We should be able to help you figure out what to test. I still think it is a safety switch.

/ john deer 4100 #10  
There should be 4 posts on the starter solenoid. 2 large posts, one from the battery then one to the starter. Then 2 small posts, one from the key switch which may actually come from a safety switch then the other wire is either ground or 12 volts,i can't remember it's reasoning right now for some reason. Anyways the main cable from the battery should has close to battery voltage atleast 12 volts, the small signal wire from the key switch should have 12 volts when the key is turned and in neutral and park brake on. If it doesn't then it's the key switch or a safety switch.

Is the clicking noise loud and is it coming from the start or is it coming from the fuel shut off solenoid?

If the starter clicks once and loudly then your solenoid is messed up probably. If the starter clicks and it isn't turning over than your not getting enough power or the starter has a problem, and it sounds ds like autozone says it doesnt.