John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions #1  

donhartman

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 231S
Hello ,I'm new here! I am looking for my first tractor and like the John Deere 1020 or the industrial version the 301A.

I looked at my first one today and I have a few questions . First off the brakes are hydraulic but how do you activate a parking brake when the tractor is running but out of gear , or when parked ? Also What do the 2 Lights in the dash panel indicate ? The ones looked pretty weathered on the unit I looked at today. The tractor seemed to run good , anything I should really look hard at ? The PTO engages and disengages fine , clutch and brakes worked fine .Power steering works great . It did start slow because of a bad battery and sitting for some time . But once running it ran smooth .

Also what do the rotary light switch positions stand for ? Off,W,F,H1,H2
this does not seem to work or the light don't work .

It looks to need 2 rear 16.9x24 tires, fronts tires are newer and it is a diesel model . What is a fair price for something in good paint and better than average condition . Needing only some rubber boots and some work on the lights and rear tires down the road a year or two.

What is your general opinion on this tractor ?

Once I do get one I will get all the appropriate manuals and service books, so excuse my questions above if they are touched on in a manual .

I did check on tires for the rear .... OUCH 400 to 620 each for R1 dependent on brand !

Thanks
Don

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions #2  
Don, welcome to the forum! The 1020 did not have a parking brake. It has a park position in the transmission similar to park in an automatic car or truck. The right shift lever needs to be placed in any gear and the left one goes into park in left forward position.

The indicator lights in dash are for alternator charge(left side) and oil pressure(right side).

The light switch positions are: W - warning lights(flashers), F - field lights(front and rear white lights), H1 - Highway position, high beam front, warning lights, and red taillight. H2 - highway position low beam front, warning lights, and red taillight.

These were excellent tractors. You mention it needing rubber boots. I assume you mean shift lever boots. Be sure the transmission oil is not contaminated with water. The oil would look milky instead of clear. Water can leak into the transmission around cracked boots. This can cause brake failure since they are wet brakes. brake failure can then lead to many hydraulic problems due to brake material and metal shavings in oil. And yes the tires are expensive, but they last many years.

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions
Thanks for the reply. What is the best way to check the trans fluid . Take a sample from the drain plug? Or?

Thanks
Don

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions #4  
ry removing the drain plug slowly after tractor has sat idle overnight. Water tends to settle to the bottom. If you see any water come out before the oil, it is contaminated. Also if the oil has any discoloration(milky) in appearance, it is contaminated. If you aren't sure, you can send a sample to lab for testing, but it probably makes more sense to change it anyway.

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions #5  
Hello ,I'm new here! I am looking for my first tractor and like the John Deere 1020 or the industrial version the 301A.

I looked at my first one today and I have a few questions . First off the brakes are hydraulic but how do you activate a parking brake when the tractor is running but out of gear , or when parked ? Also What do the 2 Lights in the dash panel indicate ? The ones looked pretty weathered on the unit I looked at today. The tractor seemed to run good , anything I should really look hard at ? The PTO engages and disengages fine , clutch and brakes worked fine .Power steering works great . It did start slow because of a bad battery and sitting for some time . But once running it ran smooth .

Also what do the rotary light switch positions stand for ? Off,W,F,H1,H2
this does not seem to work or the light don't work .

It looks to need 2 rear 16.9x24 tires, fronts tires are newer and it is a diesel model . What is a fair price for something in good paint and better than average condition . Needing only some rubber boots and some work on the lights and rear tires down the road a year or two.

What is your general opinion on this tractor ?

Once I do get one I will get all the appropriate manuals and service books, so excuse my questions above if they are touched on in a manual .

I did check on tires for the rear .... OUCH 400 to 620 each for R1 dependent on brand !

Thanks
Don

Got one, love it.

For the manuals, watch ebay...many to be had...worth the $. I can help with a repair manual if you PM me I'll send you a link. Also check out JDParts online, create your own account, and most items are available.

Have fun with it!

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions #6  
My 302 had a handbrake coming out of the left side of the transmission case but it had a reverser. Not sure when the switch was made. Check for slop in the steering as parts can add up. Ask if the 3 point will hold a load. Water in the oil can make it lift jerky too.

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions #7  
i have a 1979 JD 301A transmission wants to lock up in between gears has any one else had that problem thanks charles60

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions #8  
Charles, :welcome: to TBN

One way to tolerate this wear (likely on the forks) is to double clutch between gears.
Clutch in, move into neutral, clutch out, if ok in neutral then clutch in and shift into preferred gear.
This way, if the tranny doesn't shift out of the gear you will find that out when in neutral. Beats having the tranny stuck in two gears.

Had a loose fork in a tranny on an 8N Ford, and this became normal procedure (or else removing the cover out in the boondocks to get it out of a gear was necessary).

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions #9  
thanks for the help on my 301A my gears hanging you have a good day :)

/ John Deere 1020 / 301A Questions #10  
charles60
Is traction clutch disengaging IE have you check clutch pedal free travel as outlined in operators manual?????????????