John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres?

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres? #11  
I don't know squat about horses but would first determine which method of feeding the horses would be the most economical. If a round bale feeder will work for horses without problems that is what I would do because it would make feeding so much easier. If you decide to go with small square bales then the smallest tractor I would consider would be the 2720 with more power for the mowing on 10 acres. A better choice for larger bales and most jobs on the 10 acres would be a 3520 as it would provide enough size to make improvements to the property in a meaningful way. You may find that moving up to the 3520 can be offset by the savings in hay costs by buying the larger rounds. Figure hay costs and tractor payments can both be ongoing costs. Then think about pasture improvements and how that can lower the amount of hay you may need to buy and recognize that the larger tractor will be much better to make these pasture improvements. Really need to consider everything before you make the jump.

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres? #12  
I would agree with most other posters here, shop the other brands that fit you butt as well as the JD. JD has traditionally been higher priced by thousands for same HP as ANY other brand. Personally I think LS tractors offer the best bang for the buck but all brand owners (except JD) to include , New Holland, Massey Ferguson, Case, Kioti and of course Kubota owners all agree that most JD dealers are too proud of their tractors and equipment. Remember that few if any small tractors are actually built in USA as they are all farmed out to Asian, Chinese or India manufacturers. Some are assembled here from foreign parts and some have more dealers around than others but basically most are good quality tractors, however, as of now I would stay away from the Chinese made tractors. Their quality has improved over the years but they still arent up to standards of the Korean, Japanese or India made ones.

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres? #13  
As for size, it all depends on what you want to do with it and how fast you want to do it. We mowed 40 acres of overgrown weeds and small trees with a 19 HP 2 wheel drive JD 750 with a 4 foot bush hog prior to upgrading to larger tractors. The small tractor went at crawl speed but cut the high weed and saplings just as well as a 70HP, it just took about 7-10 days to mow it all. For pastures, this is only about a 2 time per year job so not a big deal.
If you cant swing the bigger tractor even after looking at other brands, consider renting a 50 HP tractor with a 6 foot bush hog for half a day to mow the 10 acres with and then you should be easily able to mow it with the smaller tractors from then own.

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres?
Thanks for all the great input so far. I'm waiting on a quote from the Kioti dealer, they're about and hour and a half from here. Kubota price quotes are comparable to JD in my area. I live in the Northeastern NC area. I'll do as suggested and continue my search in the 30hp range with other models. I'll keep you up to date.

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres? #15  
Thanks for all the great input so far. I'm waiting on a quote from the Kioti dealer, they're about and hour and a half from here. Kubota price quotes are comparable to JD in my area. I live in the Northeastern NC area. I'll do as suggested and continue my search in the 30hp range with other models. I'll keep you up to date.

The best thing you can do is find a tractor you like then go price shopping at 3 or 4 dealers.

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres? #16  
You should check out the LS tractor. North Carolina I think is their USA headquarters so I would think they should have more dealers there. They are good tractors with lots of standard features that are options or not even available on other tractors.

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres? #17  
I'd get a 3320 over a 2520 for your intended uses. If you are okay with used machines there are a lot of good Deeres out there. The xx20 series are all good and the xx10s are too. The 2000 and newer xx00s were fairly decent too. You could get a quality used machine in the mid teens. I wouldn't want a frame smaller than the 3x20 series for the intended applications.

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres? #18  
Kioti dk40 or Ls4041. Theirs a nice thread about those 2 tractors just a couple down from this one. Very good reading. Like others said about going bigger later is going to cost you ( you know you wlll with horses). In 2 years I would rather have to say " we need a smaller lawn mower for around the house" than we need. Larger tractor for the horses, bales, plowing, etc".
I think another problem with the deeres is their quick attatch system on the FEL's, you have to buy from them ($). some company's are makeing a few attatchments, but they cost more than the regular ssqa item. If your looking for used forks, grapple, etc you'll have a harder time finding one than one with the regular ssqa. Good luck

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres? #19  
I was in your shoes about a year ago. I looked extensively at the 1026r and the 2520. The 1026r looks like a great machine but I'm with you...the tires always looked too small for me (I've got 20 acres).

I ended up getting the 3320 but your asking between the 1026r and 2520. I think you would be the most happy with the 2520. It's a powerful little machine. I think another poster mentioned the 3005 which I looked at as we'll. Check it out. It's a solid tractor (bare bones gear shift) but really solid at a good price. You could always go bigger (like many have said) but once you get the property under control, the 2520 would do nicely. I don't think you'll have a problem running a bush hog...

Price out some other brands but one of the big reasons I chose JD is because the dealer is minutes away like you. I drop in for parts and to ask questions all the time. A close dealer is VERY nice.

I always say to others, if you get down to a couple machines you can't decide on, drive them. You'll know in minutes which one is right for you.

Good luck!

/ John Deere 1026R or 2520 for 10 acres? #20  
Stefanowich there is a dealer that sells Kubota in Mt. Airy N. C. that you should try and also a LS dealer as well. They have been in the past very competitive :thumbsup: