John Deere 1050 not running

/ John Deere 1050 not running #1  

joshua27

Tractor
John Deere 755
Last weekend I purchased a John Deere 1050 tractor with loader. This is my first tractor of my own, however I grew up around farm equipment. After purchasing I flushed the transmission case and filled with fresh JD Hygard Low Viscosity oil, cleaned the filter screen, renewed the spin on, renewed the engine oil and filter, changed fuel filter and also changed the inner and outer air filters. I've put maybe 2 or 3 hours on the tractor in the last week bush hogging my pasture.

A few days ago while bush hogging the tractor was running normal and all of a sudden it blew out black smoke and drug itself down and died. It was similar to when your run through a particularly thick area of a field while bush hogging and the tractor momentarily drags down due to the increased load on the PTO, however in this instance I was not in a thick area at all and the engine drug itself down to 0 rpm and died. After the tractor initially died I was able to re-crank it a few times only at full throttle but it was running terribly and black smoking excessively, also knocking very loudly, not sure if its fuel knock or what.

I've checked the fuel system, the injectors are spraying a fine mist as would be expected. I also inspected both sides of the turbo and the fins are intact and the shaft spins freely. I pulled the valve cover and everything appears normal in there. The starter is no longer turning the engine over fast enough to crank it. I suspect that I've either burned up the starter trying to troubleshoot or something is bound up in the engine. Any ideas?

/ John Deere 1050 not running #2  
Man, I hate hearing stories like this. I have one of my own. Can be very frustrating to say the least.

This does not sound good at all. I believe I would pull the oil pan and inspect the lower end.

You have come to the right place. A lot of great folks with plenty of knowledge hang out here.

/ John Deere 1050 not running #3  
Oil level OK, any strange color or flakes?

If the smoke was black its a sign that it get to much fuel or to little air, how did it die? As in just stop hard or more like running out of fuel?

/ John Deere 1050 not running
It died like it was starving for fuel. Like it drug itself down gradually over 15 seconds or more however as best I can tell the fuel system is working perfectly. The injectors are spraying a nice mist in sequence.

Also the oil level is fine and appears normal.

/ John Deere 1050 not running #6  
Is the exhaust restricted? Friend had a 1050 that he couldn’t figure out and it was the exhaust. Is the air filter or intake restricted? Do your idiot lights work? Did you get an oil pressure light? I’m guessing it’s something simple.

Is the exhaust restricted? Friend had a 1050 that he couldn稚 figure out and it was the exhaust. Is the air filter or intake restricted? Do your idiot lights work? Did you get an oil pressure light? I知 guessing it痴 something simple.

I'm not sure about the exhaust, that's a good idea and I will check it as soon as I get home today. I renewed the air filter and double checked it yesterday. I can't say for certain about the rest of the intake system but I will blow some compressed air through it. The dash lights do work, I never saw a low oil pressure light or anything.

/ John Deere 1050 not running #8  
Is it possible to check with the previous owner to ask about any similar history?

Is it possible to check with the previous owner to ask about any similar history?

Unfortunately I don't think he would really know. The guy I bought it from was an older gentleman who buys and sells tractors as a side job. From my understanding he bought the tractor needing some sort of clutch repair, fixed that and resold it to me.

Just as an update my tractor that I bought and used for about 2 hours has a broken crank at the #2 rod.