John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem #1  

Lacertus

Tractor
John Deere 1070
This is a bit of a complicated post so I will try to summarize as quickly as possible. I have a a John Deere 1070 that has been sitting unused for 5+ years and am trying to get it going again. I am told the original problem is that the clutch is stuck and the tractor would take off as soon as it was started. I have replaced the battery and the negative battery cable ensuring it has a good connection to the frame (used wire brush to remove rust, applied dielectric grease). When I go to start I get all the dash lights - all other lights work but no cranking of engine. Initially I was not surprised thinking it was a neutral safety switch given that I was told the tractor was stuck in gear. I was able to jump across the starter and get it to turn over but to my surprise the tractor did not move when cranking (so at this point I’m not even sure the clutch is stuck in as I’m told). Tractor did not start. I bypassed all safety switches that I know of (4 total) and have tied the fuel shutoff solenoid open. Even with all this I still get no crank when trying to use to the key to start. I know this is not advisable but I did use starting fluid one time to see if it would fire up briefly and it did. So at this point I have two problems - 1. ) No crank from key despite power 2.) Even when starter is jumped there is no fuel supply. I have added new diesel to the tank but i would think even the old diesel would get her to start. All fuses are checked and good. Aside from it still somehow being a safety switch I do not know what else would be keeping it from cranking from the key. The only other thing I can think of in the start circuit is the key switch itself but am unsure how to test that. With the fuel shutoff solenoid tied off I’m also unsure if the apparent fuel supply issue is related to the electrical issue. Any advice on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

1.) Brand new batttery and new negative cable - all with good connections
2.) All safety switches bypassed (neutral, PTO x 2, seat)
3.) All fuses good
4.) Fuel shutoff solenoid tied open
5.) New main fuel filter with air primed out of line

I know this is a complicated one but again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem #2  
There may be a clutch safety switch as well, Kubota uses one. Disconnect your fuel line as close to the tank as you can. See if you get a steady flow out of the tank. Do you have good flow into the fuel filter? Have you bled the air out of your fuel lines? How's the air cleaner and air path to the intake manifold?

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem #3  
The water and big crud separator at the tank was replaced and the fuel filter by the injection pump? You then used the hand pump on injection pump? I could swear my 870 has a little pump. If everything in working it is supposed to be self purging. I think the repair manual has you crank the engine for 15 seconds to see if the low pressure pump is working.

Have you cracked the injector nozzles to see if anything is dribble/squirting from the output of the injection pump?

My 870 has safety switches for in gear and for PTOs engaged. Nothing on clutch.

1695078314426.png

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem #4  
1695078511612.png

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem #5  
1695078544845.png

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem #6  
My guess is, after sitting for 5 years, all the plungers are stuck..
U can remove the side cover plate on the inj pump..
DO NOT TRY to loosen them w a screwdriver.!!
The screws are soft and will strip out on you..
U must use a hand impact driver and hammer..
Once the cover is removed, crank the engine and watch inside the pump..
Chances are REAL GOOD the plungers are stuck UP..
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOOSEN THEM UP WITHOUT PROPER INSTRUCTIONS.!!!

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem
My guess is, after sitting for 5 years, all the plungers are stuck..
U can remove the side cover plate on the inj pump..
DO NOT TRY to loosen them w a screwdriver.!!
The screws are soft and will strip out on you..
U must use a hand impact driver and hammer..
Once the cover is removed, crank the engine and watch inside the pump..
Chances are REAL GOOD the plungers are stuck UP..
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOOSEN THEM UP WITHOUT PROPER INSTRUCTIONS.!!!
I removed the plate on the injection pump and got video of it with the engine cranking - looks like only 1 is moving correctly. Is this something I just need to take it off and bring it in somewhere or can I get them freed up at home with some guidance?

Here’s link to video:

Thank you for clueing me in on this - i never would have found this myself!

Still haven’t found the source of it not turning over from the key - still jumping it from the starter to get it to turn over.

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem #8  
All you geniuses should READ: "NO CRANKIE". It's not (yet) a fuel supply problem. It's an ELECTRICAL problem. A stuck clutch may still be a problem that's easy to fix. If the fuel shutoff solenoid clicks, then its the starter circuit. Could be starter solenoid contacts are worn (cheap parts on ebay), easy to replace.

5 years out an animal may have chewed a critical wire. Bypass the seat switch (and the others as necessary) if the fuel solenoid doesn't click.

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem #9  
U DO NOT want to try to fix that..
Just take it off and send it out..(to me,lol)
U have to go thru the front to release the drive from the gear..
If u think THAT is a pita, wait until u try to fix it in place and mess it up and experience a run away and punch a hole in the block.!!!
PULL IT OFF..

/ John Deere 1070 no crank and suspected fuel supply problem #10  
I did one a couple of months ago and wished I didn’t take the job..
It took me HOURS to free those plungers up, but thank my lucky stars I stopped at the local NAPA and bought a new type (to me) penetrating oil..I took 3 types of p oil AND some calibration fluid..& his was only sitting in a shipping container for 2 years.!!